Sunday, May 3, 2009

Too Many Pillows

We have a new vice president. No, no. That awful Dick Cheney hasn't been replaced as Bush's Vice President. I refer to Vice President Jane. She was elected VP of her upcoming 7th grade class. I asked Jane why she ran for VP and got the same answer I would have given if I were she as a 22 year old. "There isn't as much work in being VP compared to President, Secretary and Treasurer". I suspect one of my lazy genes infects Jane.
My crazy rumination today is the subject of pillows, or specifically buying a pillow for the bed on which to sleep. This is not a simple task, though it seems any idiot (I do qualify as one of those) could easily purchase a suitable pillow. Well, I am here to say it is not so easy after all. I decide to buy a couple of new pillows last week because some of mine in an upstairs bedroom are missing, either mistakenly taken by some of Jane's sleep over guests or by one of several stranded people who were in my house after the hurricane and took the wrong pillows when leaving. Or perhaps I just can't find those two favored pillows.
I ventured to a few stores with pillows and learned some things about pillows for the bed. What i s discovered is that there are many kinds of pillows- odd shaped ones, long ones, traditional rectangular ones, pillows with specials covers, pillows with no cover or strange designs and colors on the cover of the pillow. There are also special pillows for bad backs or necks, pain relief pillows, contour pillows, side sleep pillows, ring pillows, and even stomach pillows. Is this confusing for you too?
All I wanted was a couple of pillows that would be comfortable for sleeping normally. But that's just the shape and cover, what about the interior, the important part of a pillow? It used to be that pillows were filled with "feathers". But now the range of choices is endless. There are pillows with goose down feathers (allegedly the best, but not for many people), memory foam filling, polyester filling, cotton filling and who knows what else!!! My head was spinning as I sifted through rows and rows of pillows. They all looked nice and felt sleep able, but I decided to go with a feathered pillow.
I found all kinds of "feather" pillows (they didn't specify the bird or animal from which they came) and some goose down feathers, ore expensive, but what I decided felt softest. But Alas! some were too soft and some to hard. It all depended on the "thread count" which seemed to range from 300 (super soft and less filed) to 500 (sturdier and less soft). I never could figure out which was better for sleeping. That's the dilemma for the pillow buyer. One must physically sleep on the thing before he or she knows if it is best for him or her.
But pillows are not rented or loaned to buyers like cars are. If I told the store "I want to try this pillow at home before I buy" they would have suggested I sleep on a pillow in a nut house, because I must be crazy. So I took two of those feathered pillows and have been trying them out One is too soft and bets used as the top pillow when sleeping on two...but that is uncomfortable, due to the fact that it put my head too high. The other is harder but gives too much, meaning I need another pillow on the bottom....but that makes it too high.
Sigh....I give up and will use my old pillows as originally planned (use the new ones as replacements for the lost ones) and give the new ones to Jane to try. Since Jane has more sense in her little head than I do in my big one, they may be more suitable for her. My advice to you though is to avoid buying pillows....you'll lose sleep worrying about the if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment