Monday, May 11, 2009

Staying Or Moving

I spoke with my ex wife this morning about the idea of moving to another city. It's a possibility, but only that, given the latest news that insurers here may no longer offer property insurance for hurricanes, wind damage and hail. Damage from wind and hail compose about 95% of all insurance claims, and the claims tend to be large.
So insurers would like to quit offering that kind of policy in areas subject to hurricanes. No one could afford the risk of owning uninsured property in New Orleans. My homeowner insurance has already increased 83% since the hurricane (it was renewed a couple of months ago), making it very expensive at present. If insurers do not offer homeowner's insurance in the future we will have to buy from a state run company that charges twice the rate of the private insurers. This in turn will make insurance unaffordable for many.
People will leave in droves and real estate prices will fall, making the value of a home here much less. So the question is whether one should move from the city before (or if) that happens or take the chance that insurance will still be available and the city will start to recover. It is a question that is unanswerable at this time.
In my case, since I am no longer working and have no family left or responsibilities here the encumbrances of moving are only sentimental (I like it here). Therefore, a move is practical for me. For my ex wife and her husband a move is dependent on his being able to transfer his job to a better area of the country (I am not leaving unless it is a big upgrade). Obviously, both Jane's mom and I must be in the same city because we must both be with Jane.
Thus, the conversation that I initiated with her about whether she wishes to relocate is to clarify that. In the past I refused to move for any reason. Jane is happy here, as am I, and this has been my home since birth. But the housing problem has already gotten worse. There is a glut of homes on the market and this has driven down the price of property. The homeowner who wants to sell now has a small window of time to do so before falling prices make it too costly to do so.
In other words, if one is to leave it must be soon or moving will be too costly. In addition to the housing/insurance problem I have noticed that the residential areas of the city are still dead. Few people have returned, with prospects for them to do so very small. I see a decline in businesses and a great outflow of the brightest and most creative of New Orleanians. This makes me wonder whether, even with time, New Orleans and the area will recapture its former assets- a low cost of living, variety of life, nice people, unique culture.
Anyway, we will discuss this and decide soon whether moving is the right option or whether to wait out things and hope the city will be revived and insurers will remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment