Monday, May 11, 2009

Flawless

Are you flawless? Don't ask me to say whether you are or not..... As for me I do admit to some character flaws (as you no doubt can tell by my E mails), so today I want to mention the concepts of flaws, as discussed in a book of the same name, 'Flawless', by Louis Tartaglia.. According to psychiatrist Tartaglia we all have at least one major flaw in our character, and most of us have multiple ones. He gives the ten most common flaws people he has treated exhibit, and feels that those ten are ones we should work on reducing. Here are the 10 most common flaws the doctor discusses.
1. addicted to being right (I have to be right and will die trying to prove it every time I can)
2. raging indignation (angry about everything they can imagine)
3. fixing the blame on others and nurturing resentments
4. The Dread seekers (worriers and fearful people)
5. Resisting reality (intolerance to others and other ways of doing things)
6. The Martyr Syndrome ("Poor me. I always have to suffer")
7. Self-regard run riot ( too much pride, false pride, the "I, I , I" syndrome)
8. Inadequacy (excuses for everything)
9. Hypercritical pessimists (the fault finders)
10. The Trap (seemingly always dishonest) I know which flaw I most suffer from, or at least I know one of the ten that is a problem for me.
Hmmmmmm think about it and see if you can guess which of the ten is my problem. I won't ask you if you have any of them or guess because you will be hurt, offended or outraged if I do. Well, did you guess the one that is my biggest problem? I think it's number one, the addicted to being right syndrome.
Yes, I argue a point too much and sometime lose sight of feelings in order to prove I am right. I suppose, as the author of 'Flawless' contends that those of us who struggle with a being right syndrome really fear being wrong and lack the self esteem to stop trying to prove we "are right". In this book the author suggest we recognize our flaws and try to change them, that they are actually not hard to change once we recognize them and see they hurt us. In the book he suggests a ways to do it. There is much more to Tartaglia's theory than this oversimplification but I think he is on target with most of his beliefs. And I KNOW I AM RIGHT ABOUT THAT. From the "Gee that tastes especially good today" department is Hungarian drinking saga. Hungarian builders in Budapest who drank their way to the bottom of a huge barrel of rum while renovating a house got a nasty surprise when a pickled corpse tumbled out of the empty barrel, a Hungarian police magazine web site reported.
The workers tried to move the barrel after they had drained it, only to find it was surprisingly heavy and were shocked when the body of a naked man fell out. It turned out to be the body of the man had been shipped back from Jamaica 20 years ago by his wife in the barrel of rum in order to avoid the cost and paperwork of an official return. The thirsty workers said the rum in the 300-liter barrel had a "special taste" so they even decanted a few bottles of the liquor to take home.
Uh....I assume they dumped those decanters and looked for more traditional flavored liquor. As for the dead man, his wife has since died and the man was buried in a proper alcohol free grave.

No comments:

Post a Comment