Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Appeal Of Pumpkins

I went to Whole Food grocery today. It's a upscale store that sells mostly organic and specialty foods, and I patronize it from time to time to buy certain foods I like. I was searching for the fine cut oatmeal from Scotland that makes the very best oatmeal for breakfast. Hmmmmmm I also bought some yummy carrot cake and consider carrot cake to be, not junk food, but a vegetable of the day. Haha I know it is a loose interpretation of the food pyramid....but I like to eat it. Anyway, I noticed the huge number of pumpkins that were for sale. There were the standard orange pumpkins, both gigantic (one sold for $75 but I do not know how any shopper could transport home such as huge gourd) and tiny. There were pie pumpkins there, the ones that make those delicious deserts because of their high sugar content. I saw white pumpkins, blue pumpkins, green pumpkins and some of mixed color. I do like to use pumpkins as a decoration for both Halloween and afterward. They look nice just as is at the front door entrance and in front of a fireplace, or can be combined with other things from nature to present a warm homey scene.. I was stuck by how those pumpkins not only caught my eye, but seemed transfixed me. I feel a little happier when with the pumpkins (Hehe I am easy to please)
Yep! I think a pumpkin, at Halloween time or whenever, does attract the attention of people and make them a little more content. They are a fleeced guard for practically everyone except maybe Ebenezer Scrooge and his ancestors. But Why? Is it just that we are taught to love pumpkins when we are kids at Halloween? Why are people in this country and in many others, made happier when merely looking at or touching a pumpkin.
I think would rather look at a pumpkin than eat a piece of cheesecake (I am not prepared to make the same claim when donuts are involved ....besides, I will have a pumpkin donut), because I get a warm happy feeling from the sight of the pumpkin. Being a rather odd and curious person I decided to test my theory that pumpkins and humans have a natural affinity, not just a learned one. My thought was whether we have a learned-love for pumpkins or whether they naturally appeal to us.
I decided to wait a few minutes and see what reaction, if any, toddlers would have to the pumpkins, and then to follow the mom and child through the store to see if that reaction was stronger or weaker with other products on display. Those ;little boys and girls have not yet learned about pumpkins, so I think they are the perfect subjects for the test. Haha Ok, I have too much time on my hands. But when I am curious I seek answers. I did follow one baby and then another and can now report that in both cases their reactions to the pumpkin display was far in excess to anything else they responded to in the store (even to the sweets in the bakery area).
Does this mean humans and pumpkins are a natural twosome? Ok, I know using only two subjects is not scientific, but I didn't want to stay in that store too long. I am convinced that a sample of two is sufficient in pumpkin research and my conclusion is that humans are attracted to pumpkins. Maybe the color, the shape, the stem on top, maybe all of those things or something else makes it so. But it is so.
And if women can not resist chocolate and shopping (forgive my hyperbole), can it not be that no one can resist pumpkins? Wow...I am getting lightheaded. I think I hurry up with this E mail because need to sit beside my pumpkins and have one of those pumpkin muffins I made yesterday...........

No comments:

Post a Comment