Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Home From Australia And NZ And Still Ranting

Well, I am now home for my trip to Australia and New Zealand. Just your luck..or unluck...you get my impressions of some of the things I noticed while away. One thing I saw and have become aware of in recent years is just how fat the world is becoming. Everyone knows we Americans and those Germans are too fat, but I think the time for pointing fingers at us is over. Every country has an ample supply of fatties these days. Feel free to include me in that fat group, but at least I am not yet wearing a bra.
Some of the Aussies and Kiwis I saw in those countries look every bit as misshapen as our American fatties. Why, when reading the Sydney morning newspaper I found an entire section about fatties in Australia., It seems that one in four Australians is now too fat and the newspaper said it was a national calamity. New Zealanders also express the same feelings about themselves. But the fat I saw this trip doesn't end there ( though this does not including my looks in the mirror). All the tourists from all countries seem much fatter now, And they all munch continually on those western style sweets and fried foods.
I think the average Japanese tourist/business man is now much fatter than he would like to admit. But alas! There is one group that is still slim- the young Asian women. I am not sure how they do it but they are still slim and pretty despite all those ice cream cones and fried chicken legs they all have glued to their eating hands. It's just not fair that they should look so good and everyone else so bad while both of us eat that high calorie junk.
Another observation I have is about is the "early boarding"policy of the airlines. It doesn't matter to me when I board, since I have a boarding pass with a designated seat. But the favoritism for the alleged "disabled' bothers me. No, not the people who really do need help and must be boarded early. I refer to the fakers, those alleged crippled and maimed you see running to the airport cafe to buy the muffins and pastries that makes them fat (refer to my text about fatties above). When that group hits the boarding gate the limp starts, and I just know they had a phony note for the airline saying they needed a special seat and a pre board because of their phony disability.
Haha I should take a cane to the airport next trip. But worst of all those pre boarded chosen few are the ones "with children under the age of five" You must have heard that announcement before. "All passengers with children under five may pre board". But some of the kids I saw boarding looked taller than Yao Ming. Ha! A kid Yao's size should be checked in at the curb and strapped to the wing., not pre boarded! Maybe we should put them all in the luggage compartment. It's dark and cold in there. They might like that environment and free up a few seats for normal adults. I think those little kids should be forced to board last along with their parents (And only if there is room for them!). Let the normal people (Though I am not normal I think I should be allowed to board) get on first, sit and relax while those crying babies and delinquent adolescents disturb the airport terminal persons.
Paying customers deserve peace and quiet on their long and uncomfortable journey. And maybe we should chain all those kids together (for safety purposes in a sound proof cubicle where they might stand for the entire 13 hour flight. That would give them no possibility for crying and annoying the other passengers).
Ok, I am exaggerating and being silly, but another trip sight that baffles me is the in flight "special meal". On my flight back to New Orleans from Auckland I saw at least 25 "special meals" served to passengers. What's the matter with the mess that they give to the rest of us to eat? Why do those people think their religion, health, diet preferences etc., entitles them to an expensive (we passengers pay extra for our ticket to accommodate their special meals)? If you don't want or can't eat the airline meal, bring your own food! No one makes special meals for kids in school, in the military, at Aunt Mildred's!!!. Why does having abnormal eating habits entitle one to a special meal on board.
Hmmmmmm I notice many of those alleged disabled pre boarders order special meals. They seem to be scamming the airline in more than one way. Before I get to my comments about NZ an Australia, another comment about the transportation. Why are airports such sterile, uncomfortable places to wait? Perhaps they want us to wait, but also to suffer while doing so, just in case making us comfortable would encourage us to move into the terminal like Tom Hanks did in that film. I think airports should rent sleeping cubicles for the long term lay-over traveler. How about some live music and naked girls? You can have naked men if you want too. That kind of entertainment would surely cause some flights to be missed and the airlines could sell those poor leering men and women another ticket as a result- instant profit for the airlines. Can't they even put working TV's in the airports, ones that have sound and are tuned to something more interesting that George Bush's speeches or those silly American TV shows? I could go on about these matters, but for your peace of mind let me now report on my trip here are some of my observations about my trip
* Best travel moment- While riding the Trans Zealand train, running into a surprise mini snow blizzard at the New Zealand National Park at the summit of the highest spot in New Zealand. A student choir riding the train back to Wellington after performing in a competition in Auckland went crazy in the snow. I felt 15 years old again watching and trying to keep up with their excitement.
* Those two countries are quite expensive places now. I noticed real estate prices in both Sydney and Auckland were about twice as high on average as those here.
* The food gets a "C", but then neither country has any indigenous food. The food there all rather serviceable and can be found in most other countries.
* New Zealand is still largely rural, beautiful and unspoiled. I found myself wondering if that can last. But then, it is so expensive to live there, few immigrants will escape to New Zealand. That should keep it a provincial place.
* There is more graffiti in Australia and New Zealand that in any other place I have even been. I was told by locals that it isn't gang related graffiti. Nonetheless, it tells something about a people when they disfigure their cities that way. Just what it is I am not certain.
* New Zealand and Australian teens drink alcohol to drunkenness, for recreation purposes. I found myself wondering where the parents are in those weekend of drunken binges. Maybe they are also occupied with their own bottles.
* New Zealanders and Australians are happy people who seem rather glad to have tourists in their midst. They take pride in their countries and go out of their way to see that you like it too. I felt welcome in both countries.
* I feel great affection and sympathy for the Maori people after meeting several and, in particular, taking a guided tour of a Maori mountain side with a very nice man who even introduced us to his family at tour's end. And the Maori singing performance in the Auckland Museum is not to be missed.
* Best Sydney sights- The contortionist lady on the Sydney Harbor Quay who stuffed her entire body into a box that was 16 square inches in size, the quaint old area of the city called " The Rocks" (much of it was carved out of a huge mountain side rock by convicts), The Chinese Garden of Friendship (where I became an Emperor for a moment)
* Best Auckland sights- the screaming bun gee jumper who seemed close enough to me from her Sky City jump to land on my head, the countryside tours into beautiful farmland, caves, mountains and quaint villages, that long but relaxing trans Zealand train ride (one of the last, as the train will be discontinued this month) from Auckland to Wellington, the peaceful and civilized city pace of Auckland that is at the very least an anachronism in today's hurried world, the cultural mix that is blossoming there, Auckland Explorer bus that takes one to wherever he wishes to see in that city easily and quickly.
* Best Wellington sights- the drive around the perimeter of the city to see the "other Wellington" that is surrounded the Wellington beaches, those old and glorious stone buildings of the 19th century that shame our modern skyscrapers with their simple beauty, the seals of Wellington (animal kind), those cute schoolboy/girl uniforms worn by every student in Wellington (another throwback to earlier centuries, those kids probably dressed the same 100 years ago)
* They really do say ""Hey Mate" in Australia..and it is kind of annoying after the 5th or 6th time.
* Things I like about New Zealand- It's quiet, the weather is cool, the natural beauty is inspiring, it has yet to be invaded either by Bush or by western culture, people there are mostly happy about New Zealand, it is easy to see much of the country in a matter of a week or so, and it is avery gentle and comforting place.
* Things I like about Sydney- It's sophisticated, diverse, interesting, has friendly people and Mel Gibson didn't insult me or claim I was a "Jewish pest". (I am actually a Catholic pest Mel probably hates those too)
* I never miss my computer when away, but I always miss the people I communicate with when away and hope you thought of me at some insane moment of your day. Though I have undoubtedly left out much, that's my story of my vacation as I think about it now. Nice to be back with you here.

No comments:

Post a Comment