Monday, May 11, 2009

Magazine Double Standard

I have a question for you? Why is it that female celebrities are often shown in nude magazine photos, but male celebrities are rarely pictured that way? Not that I want to look at naked men (My God! Seeing my own naked image in the mirror is disgusting enough), but it is curious that in 2006 we still have different sexual visions of our celebrities. Maybe society is slower to change in the trivial things, such as nude magazine images.
Those female celebs, particularly actresses, seem to "have to take it off" if they are to remain popular to movie goers. For the female it is a mater of "staying sexy" and removing clothes is one easy way to do that. But where are the nude photos of Brad Pitt and other female favorites? Maybe it's just that women like their fantasy men to be clothed, but whatever, there is no demand for actors to show their jewels. In fact, the public still sees women as sex objects and men as not, and...most women don't think about men being naked in the same way we men think of women that way. Uh. correct me if I am wrong about this? But haven't we been trained to look and leer at naked women, while finding naked men a bit too much to take? Or perhaps....maybe a naked woman just look a whole lot better than does a naked man. I have exhausted the subject here and want your opinion on all this. Haha Just don't ask me to get naked in my reply!
While you are thinking about getting that image of naked me from your mind...here's another lawsuit abuse report. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that a woman who tripped and fell over letters, packages and periodicals left on her front porch (the material was too large to fit in her mailbox), can sue the U.S. Postal Service for damages. Barbara "Put My Mail In The Box" Dolan says she suffered wrist and back injuries when she fell in 2001 in front of her Glenside, Pennsylvania home.
And it was all because that postal carrier acted "negligently" by leaving her mail on her porch. I wonder if Barbara would have sued the post office had they refused to deliver what couldn't fit in her box? Why do I even ask? Assuredly, she would. The fact that the post office here delivers more than 650 million pieces of mail each day makes allowing such a frivolous suit a frightening specter I can envision thousands of lawsuits for "injuries suffered from improper delivery".
Oh well, let's hope the judge throws out the suit and tells Barbara she is responsible for watching her own step when on her own property. And perhaps the court should tell the post office to not deliver what won't fit in the recipient's box.
But then...I just know that Barbara would slip and fall on the way to pick up her undelivered mail. And she would just as surely sue the post office for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment