Monday, May 11, 2009

Mugs

I bought a coffee/ tea mug yesterday. I know that is not eventful news, but you are going to get a reflection on mugs today. Take cover.... I like mugs for my morning coffee, and I must have one cup of coffee every morning to function normally. tea is fine, but not in the morning. It doesn't initiate the day for me as coffee does. So I like to have different mugs when I sip my brew. Well, there is no shortage of selection.
There are standard sized mugs, medium mugs and large ones. They come in all sorts of colors and designs, apart form the simple white or cream colored coffee cup we all drink from in hotels. This is because your mug is a reflection of your personality.
What amazes me is why people buy those mugs that advertise something. I saw one once that read " Riverside Trash Removal". Who wants to drink from a garbage company mug? I didn't bother taking that free mug.
Then there are the holiday mugs. I have those, that idea a legacy form my mom who used to always thoroughly decorate the house for every holiday. My mother once decorate for St. Joseph's Day? Haha What is that?
Anyway, I have mugs for Christmas (I hope Rudolph doesn't do his Reindeer mess in my coffee), Easter ( For some reason one of my Easter mugs has a bunny who looks like Julia Roberts. Well, Julia always looks weird), Thanksgiving (a cute, colorful turkey on that one), St. Patrick's Day (The leprechaun is dancing with joy that I am drinking from him) , Halloween (drinking coffee with Frankenstien and Dracula isn't so bad) and there are a few more lesser holidays for which I have mugs.
I also like those colorful ones. What I bought yesterday has a deep purple color inside and overlapping the outer rim and has a hand painted design in multi colors outside. It makes me wonder who has the job of deigning mugs. Is that a job you study for and specialize in or does any designer or commercial artist do that? I have several multicolored mugs with quite artistic designs on them. If people say stamps are works of art, I am going to say some mugs are too. Then there are personalized mugs. I have several, some given to me by my students. Those kids had my name put on the mug but some people do that for themselves. I wonder why? Does a person need to have his or her name on a mug to warn people that it belongs to them....and that they should not even think about drinking from it? Do people actually refuse to let others use their mug? And what about people who put their pictures or kids picture on a mug? Why?????
I don't like coffee mugs that are plastic. They can be bought in any material, but I only want to drink from ceramic or stoneware mugs. Does that make me a coffee mug snob? Is there anything worse than drinking from a Styrofoam mug. Ugh! if I use one of those I can taste the chemicals that the heat of the coffee unbind from the styrofoam cup. But them "organic" mugs are just as bad. It's an insult to my limited intelligence that a producer thinks he can trick me into buying a mug because it is "organic". Who cares if the material used is organic. It's all processed with chemicals anyway.
How about message mugs? Have you seen any of those that made sense. I saw one that said "World's Loudest Snorer". Another I saw fits in the "cutsie" category. It said "Paws & Relax' on it with a dog's paw prints strategically placed around the words. That one is too cute for me. I would be nauseated and unable to drink if someone gave me coffee to drink in that one. The I remember seeing one that said "I only sleep with the best". Sigh...I know I would never be worthy to drink from that mug.
There isn't anything that people don't put on their mugs: the vulgar, the religious, the cute, the serious, their affiliations with school places, life philosophy, business names or slogans for the workers to follow, their ages or astrological signs, family members names, and so much more. But those mugs do reflect a personality. I say if you want to know about someone, look in his or her kitchen cabinet to see what kinds of mugs are there.
Cheers and mugs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment