Sunday, May 3, 2009

Muffin High

Yesterday Jane's mom telephoned and said she had her first period. Well, she is 12 now, has gained weight and developed acne recently, so I knew it couldn't be far from happening. Thank goodness for moms! I know nothing about female periods and can offer little to Jane in the way of information or comfort. One ignorance we men possess and do not seek to cure is information about the menstrual cycle (No need to educate me). But I know one thing for certain, at times like this I am happy to be a male.
Sigh..finally something good about we men being the inferior sex. I can't imagine myself having a period. I am already impossible as is. After speaking with Jane on the phone I see she is a little scared and will be momma's girl for a while. Under normal circumstances he is with me every day, but will stick with mom for awhile. One good thing is that Jane is not the first in her class to have a period, so I assume she has heard stories from others and that it will reassure her. I thought 12 was a little early for that, but I searched on the internet and found that any age from 11 - 15 is normal for this to start. Haha I also saw that in some cultures there are "period parties" for young girls who menstruate, as a rite of passage into adolescence.
Do you have that kind of thing there? Boys never mature an most often don't even make it out of adolescence (sigh...yes, I may be an example of that!), so if we ever have a rite of passage it would be to honor our passage into the highest male state- second childhood. We may not menstruate but we refuse to grow up as you females do.
Graduating high school seniors love an end of the school year prank to stamp their mark as grads. But what happened at Lake Highland High school, in Dallas may land one graduating senior a jail cell rather than a diploma. That's because an honors student named Ian Walker has been charged with giving marijuana spiked muffins to the teacher's lounge at school.
Eighteen very lightheaded teachers and other staff members were admitted to a hospital after eating the muffins that Ian and a friend labeled as a gift of thanks to the teachers who teach at Lake Highlands. Shortly after eating the muffins the eighteen began complaining of nausea, light headedness and headaches. They were treated and released but the school receptionist, an 86 year old woman spent two days in the hospital.
Ian says he had no idea it would turn out that way and could be sentenced to as much as 10 years in prison if convicted. When released, let's hope Ian doesn't try to obtain a Ph.D. in LSD.

No comments:

Post a Comment