Saturday, June 27, 2009

Fads

Today I want to rant to you about fads, specifically, about the ease with which people are led into fads. I think the Global Warming over reactions and Al Gore film of the same subject have pushed me over the edge into wonderment as to why so many people hop into mindless fads. Hehe Like it or not you'll get my theory.
If a fad is something (often a trivial subject) that becomes quickly popular but quickly loses its appeal then people today live lives of fads. Here's a few recent ones that were widely popular and in my view offer little substance:
* Freedom Fires -The Bush crowd attempted to change the name of all things French to a more agree able term, given the hatred Americans seem to feel toward anything French it was a cheap political trick to win approval. But for a while it was the fad of the time.
*Harry Potter books, games and assorted related Potter merchandise all about us- Children's books that adults adored and were convinced were meant for them, originally targeted by the publishers to the 9-11 age group
* laser pointers - ever been annoyed by am idiot using those on the movie screen you are trying to watch? * Tamagotchi- Jane was enamored with those for almost than 2 years.
* Wonderbras- No! I don't wear one. I just put this one in my list for you. You already know about it.
*Y2 bug- Remember that stupidity? So many people were convinced we and our computers would self destruct in 2000. Little do they know we and our computers will self destruct very well on our own through natural causes, Y2 or not.
*Pokeman- Can you believe that is still going (though fading) and a multi billion dollar operation?
* The Macarena- The Macarena is to music and dance what Jessica Simpson is to intelligentsia.
* Heroin Chic- This was the short lived heroin look that fashion models used in the late 90's-pale skin, dark circles under the eyes, boney concentration camp look
* Botox- have you had your Botox cosmetic make-over yet? Oh, I shouldn't have to ask...
* Googling- Admit it. You google a lot.
* I Pods , Cell Phones and every other technology that estranges us from our fellow humans- These gadgets are great for those who want to be accessible 24 hours a day. But why would anyone want that? I want peace and quiet when I am on the toilet!
* Reality TV- The ultimate un reality
Ok, you get the idea. We have a great number of fads these days and they don't always make much sense. As to why, I blame it on the wide-spread and instantaneous media communication, the fact that transportation is available to even the common man and that it makes bring a fad from one place to another much easier than before and the idea that we are bored and need to create fads to keep us from "suffering'.
The world is now a melting pot of cultures a that makes a breeding ground for new fads, particularly given the feeling people have that they most belong to some commonality. Maybe this faddism (Hmmmmm I may have created a new word here) is why we have so many addicts (cell addicts, for instance). I wonder if those who jump at every fad know what they are doing, and whether they do it because they like the fad or just can't help themselves.
It may be extreme to suggest that a fad crazed world is a sick one, because fads are harmless, if brain numbing. I suppose the increase in fads is more an indicator that society is tired of thinking and that being a follower of fads is what it wants. Yep! I think fads are anti intellectual and a sort of addiction that do not serve humans well. Oops! I have to go....my Tomagothci just altered me to attend to him and there is this great reality show about to come on TV....maybe I should have some freedom fries while I watch...

No comments:

Post a Comment