Sunday, June 28, 2009

Crime Almost Hits Home

I have a semi crime story that happened to me to relate today. It happened at about 4:45 AM, Saturday morning and reflects the degree to which even the suburbs of New Orleans have seen a big increase in crime since Hurricane Katrina. Since I am an early riser (too early sometimes), Saturday morning I got up and walked to my front door to peek out of the side light for my Sunday newspaper. What I saw instead was a young man, perhaps 17 or 18 years of age, trying to get into my neighbor's automobile by checking all the doors on the car to see if any had been left unlocked. He then turned and walked up my driveway toward my car.
At that point, in my pajamas (Yes! I look cute in them) I yelled at him as loud as I could to "Get out of that driveway." Sigh..had I been dressed I would have confronted him myself and chased after him. But he turned, ran into my back yard, and I think, jumped over my rear yard fence in escape. After I dressed and went outside to find him, to no avail, I phoned the local police who sent a car to check the area. The thief was never found.
This kind of simple car burglary in which a teen walks the neighborhood at very late night and either forcibly breaks in to cars in search of money, electronics or other item, or simply tries the doorknobs of them to see who forgot to lock and protect the car contents, has become common. One neighbor near me had expensive electronic navigational equipment and a lap top stolen that way and we have also had some home burglaries recently, something unheard of in this neighborhood before the hurricane.
But now the city has been flooded with criminals of all types and crime has become easier to achieve. This has encouraged some teens who would not have thought to do so, to now also engage in it. Haha They should steal my stupid E mails instead.
Some places in the strange world in which we have have strange wedding customs. Need an example? Well, in one recent wedding the Groom arrived drunk and his bride was so upset she married his brother instead. Villagers at a wedding in Patna, India decided the groom had arrived too drunk to get married, and so the bride married the groom's more sober brother instead, police said.. "The groom was drunk and had reportedly misbehaved with guests when the bride's family and local villagers chased him away," Madho Singh, a senior police officer told Reuters after Sunday's marriage in a village in Bihar state's Arwal district.
The younger brother agreed to take the groom's place beside the teenage bride at her family's invitation, witnesses said. "The groom apologized for his behavior, but has been crying that word will spread and he will never get a bride again," Singh said.
Well, he already seems married to his bottles of alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment