Monday, June 29, 2009

Concession Blues

There are quite a few movies out this holiday season. And the prices to see them have been stable for many years. But not all movie items are as cheap as the entrance fees to see them. I have made mention many times that I am not fond of most of what Hollywood produces. Those movies are for the most part, dull, child-like and unintelligent. I could go on about this, but you would delete me if I did. So let me mention something that is happening to inflict greater damage on Hollywood than do my scathing remarks.
It's the decline in movie snack profits. Yep, those overpriced bags of popcorn, and giant (I mean the price as much as the size) cokes and candy bars. You se, fewer people are buying that stuff when they see their favorite movies at theaters. Of curse this parallels the decline in movie audiences. Sales have gone down in line with attendance. Movie goers in the U.S. say they are losing interest in movies because the quality of films made is so bad, the prices to get in too high and because paying for concessions is so outrageously expensive.
I read recently that the markup by concession stands is so high that just $30 of raw popcorn can translate into as much a s$3000 in sales at a movie concession counter. Ouch! (the hot popcorn didn't burn me.
It was those high prices charged for a bag of it). Even too fat Americans won't throw away money with that kind of mark-up. What should movie houses do to up their concession sales. I think the best thing that they might do is to insist that Hollywood make more thoughtful and interesting films. If theater chains would refuse more of the films Hollywood sells, and perhaps buy more foreign films or independent (from the large studios) producers, there might be a larger audience to which to sell those concessions. Do you buy concessions at the theater? Do you think they are they over-priced? Dare I ask your opinion abut the quality of movies? (I promise not to rant about mine, if you give me your view).
Maybe Bush's affinity to start wars has created a shortage in the U.S. Marine Corps personnel pool. But the latest attempt by the marines to recruit one Saugus, California prospect may have gone over the line. Sonia Goldstine says she was flattered to receive a nice recruiting letter asking her to become one of the "few, the proud", but at age 78 she believes she may be a tad too old to enlist and head to combat. That's right. The marines sent a recruiting letter to a 78 year old woman. "I couldn't believe it. We laughed so hard.. There I am with a walker. I can't maneuver from here to there without it, " said Recruit Sonia. "I'll do whatever I could for this wonderful country we live in, but you know, this is kind of stretching it a bit."
The letter said it could use Sonia's unique language skills, but also warned her that as a marine her physical strength and mental skills would be tested. Haha It was enough of a test for Sonia to fond the strength to open the letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment