Monday, June 29, 2009

Falling Drawers

It looks like my state, Louisiana, is a trend setter in one less than important area. It's the baggy pants look that became the sagging pants look that finally turned into the pants falling and underwear and private parts showing look. A few small towns in my state were the first to ban the sagging pant look on the grounds that it was a public obscenity to show the underwear and family jewels that way. And after courts rules that it is ok for a city to make kids wear their pants above their underwear, other places have followed with the same rule.
A crackdown also is being pushed in Atlanta, Georgia. And in Trenton, New Jersey, getting caught with your pants down may soon result in not only a fine, but a city worker assessing where your life is headed. The theory is that if a young man is so clue less as to wear his pants that way, he may also be clue less in other areas his education.
I take no position in this ban, even though I think it looks disgusting. I suppose a person may show his or her ignorance and still be acting legally. I just turn my head and ignore the saggy ones. Of course, we men dream that the ladies will try a similar fashion style too. I doubt I would call on authorities for a ban on a lady showing her best that way....
The bare-your-butt fashion is believed to have started in prisons, where inmates aren't given belts with their baggy uniform pants to prevent hangings and beatings. By the late 80s, the trend had made it to gangster rap videos, then went on to skate boarders in the suburbs and high school hallways. Now it is a less than pleasant site that I see on the street and in other public venues. Kids think it is a form of rebellion and away to show their identity. Since their parents often don't explain why it is offensive to others, they wear the pants that way.
My own attitude is that the teens who show their underwear with the baggy look probably lack two elements in their lives- parents who are interested enough their kids to make sure they are not obscenely dressed before leaving home and the element of ignorance. I think the wearers may just be so ignorant they do not realize how offensive and disgusting the prison pant look is. Schools will send home any kid without a belt and will give detentions if the baggy look appears on a campus. it does not. This indicates that a little parental action might make the silly baggy pant laws unnecessary, btu as we know, this is an age of the ME generation. Some parents seem too preoccupied with themselves to care enough about their kids.
Maybe instead of the laws, police could issue citations to the parents making them pay a heft fine every time junior showed his butt that way,. Haha After all of this stupidity I have discussed today...I bet you are wondering if my pants are sagging. Use your imagination....

No comments:

Post a Comment