Saturday, June 27, 2009

Thous Shalt Not Blog

I feel about blogs as I do about cell phones. Haha Now you get my view on why I dislike having to read personal blogs as a substitute for regular E mail. More than once I have receive a sentence reply after sending my E mail that said to "just read my blog today".
The main objection I have to personal blogs is that they are not personal, but impersonal (toward the reader). I have always viewed a blogger as a person writing him or herself, bloggers talking to themselves, not communicating with others. Isn't it an avoidance tactic. It's almost like saying " I don't have or want the time to communicate with you directly, so I will write something that has equal value to all. Strangers become as important to the blogger as family and friends because the generic is written for everyone.
Surely, some things I write to my E friends in my E mail are generic, because they are of interest to all. But never is my personal mail a one-for-all document. Telling someone to "read my blog" in lieu of writing E mail is like buying the same dress as everyone else or feeling the same about every person. To me, it just does not follow that a blog is a personal communication. Blogs are best for disseminating information to the masses, not an investment in a personal relationship with another person. Shouldn't an E mail receive a personal reply? If not everyone is treated as equal and he or she sees themselves as no more important to the writer of the blog as anyone else. Something is wrong with that....it's far too impersonal .
Those blogs that educate us about issues or events, express an idea that the writer wants to pass on, gives us something to laugh at etc...they are all for the masses and good communication modes. But they are not a substitute for personal mail.
Haha I can imagine a blogger writing something like "Mom died today" on his blog and then being upset because his sister didn't find out until after the funeral that dear old mom drooped dead. The rationalization for not telling the sister directly about mom dying would be, "I have a blog. You should read that every day. That's how I communicate". Oh, my...that could happen because blogs, like cell phones, are communication modes that are over used and substituted for the more personal and direct communication people used to have. Just like "being in touch" by cell phone isn't really being "in touch".
But rather "avoiding touch" by being evasive with an illusion of presence, blogging as a substitute for E mail communication seems to me much the same. You are here, but are not why there...not even remotely so because you know not who will read the blog and why and what feelings they will have after doing so.
Yep...blogs are just like cell phone chat. they are impersonal personal communications. And for me, they are just not reason enough for me to invest my time and attention. Hehe If you ever tell me to just "read my blog" instead of replying I will be so traumatized I might actually grab a s cell phone to protest, because as horrendous as cell phones are at least there is some degree of personalization in the call. Gee, I just realized that have added "blog nut" to my "cell nut" title. I should tell the world that I am now a blog nut. Maybe I should put that in my blog..................

No comments:

Post a Comment