Monday, June 22, 2009

New Year's Day Menu

Something about what people ate on New Year's Day.
Like many people here and elsewhere in the world my mom and dad used to always eat the traditional New Year's Day meal on January 1st. In the southern U.S. that New Year's Day meal consists of pork or corned beef, cabbage, and black eyed peas. The pork represented prosperity for the next year, the cabbage signified good luck, and the black eyed peas (besides being disgusting tasting) for good health all year long.
As I dislike the black eyed peas and corned beef, I had to fend for myself for something to eat that day. But I appreciated the tradition being followed and those meals are one of the things that link me to my now deceased family. Hehe I was more attuned to the old Dutch tradition of eating donuts for good luck on New Year's Day. I fear my bulging waistline shows I am following the Dutch tradition too often, New Year's Day not being the only time I want to "get lucky".
And of course the New Year's meal had to be toasted down with a glass of champagne exactly five minutes after midnight. Too, my parents usually had cornbread (supposed to bring health and wealth to we southerners if eaten on New Year's Day) and a dessert after eating the other components of that New Year's Day feast. One of the desserts my mom made for New Year's was "grasshopper pie". No real grasshoppers in it, but it is based on a strong mint liquor called Creme De Mint.
Wow! What a menu they ate. It's filled with enough fat and salt and alcohol to make one feel less than happy at the start of the new year. I suppose all holiday meals are "bad for us" nutritionally and we are trained to eat too much of them too. But since I never liked the food my family ate on New Year's Day I don't follow a food tradition on January 1st. What about you? Do you hold dear to any particular food traditions on New Year's or any other holiday?
Here's a new twist on jail breaks. It's not about sneaking out of prison. The new way is to sneak into prison, for sex! That's right. It happened recently in Baltimore where police say Tiffany "I Want In" Weaver (OK, I made up the "I want in" part of her name), forged documents and claimed to be an attorney for inmate Jason Moody, the guy Tiffany is hot for but who is serving 30 years in prison for manslaughter.
Tiffany and Jason started humping shortly after Tiffany got to his cell, but jail personnel assigned to monitor the cells with cameras saw the two doing the nasty. They quickly interrupted and arrested too hot Tiffany on counts of forgery, fraud and false use of government identification.
She carried a Maryland State Bar Association Security ID pass in the name of an attorney, Amanda Spehn, currently pregnant (No! Jason didn't do it to her) and on leave from her position. Amanda found out about the deception when she received a letter from the state accusing her of being the hot woman banning her from the jail.
No one knows how Tiffany faked the pass or why it was in Amanda's name, since Amanda never has represented Jason in any cases. If convicted for her break-in and "entry" with Jason, Tiffany could get 10 years in jail. Wait a minute??? I think Tiffany might like that that kind of punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment