Monday, June 22, 2009

Have I Become A Trendsetter

Something amazing may be happening to me about style. Hehe Not my clothes but my anti cell phone stance. After reading an article about the subject it seems that the small number of people who are "unconnected to cell phones, blackberries and computers, may be so rare that they are becoming trend setters.
True, I love my computer, but I have no cell phone , blackberry, Ipod or another trendy electronic device. Here me now. I do not want to be apart of the always "connected" world and resist the worldwide movement to be constantly reached by others. I LIKE private moments because those are the times when people think most clearly about what is important in life.
It does make me wonder why people disparage me for not falling in love with a cell phone. They may captivate you and others, but I think they enslave. Just today while in my grocery store I saw six humans pull their s cells phones to ask their spouses or other family member "which bread do I get" and other nonsensical questions. I should have shouted at the top of my lungs. "Why don't you people make a decision by yourself about your bread!" Hehe But given my tenuous mental condition I probably would have been banned form the store and hauled away to the nut house.
I am off topic...sorry...I was writing about the fact that once an outcast for not being the only one with a cell phone, now some people are so annoyed with their cells they are beginning to see me and other non cell users as trend setters- the trend being to treat cell phones as a device used for necessity, not as a substitute for a lover.
The article that discussed this change in view mentioned that even some teens are turning away form some of the technology that now controls their lives. And I have noticed when I make one of my I hate cell phone speeches, the snickering is subdued and I detect some signs that the listener may think that, although I may be a nut, I may also make a good point or two about the evils of the culture's cell addiction.
Though most of the world wants to be connected 24 hours a day, the idea that doing what everyone else is doing, is to some people not necessarily an attractive thing. As a non cell user I am an endangered species, but now some of you are paying attention to me when I don't imitate the cell hysteria you see around you. Too, I am connected here, on lien. But it is in my home, when I want to be and I am never a Pavlovian dog on call to a phone ring.
So I predict that people like me who hate cell phones and refuse to use them or put up with rudeness of others who do, are a sign of what may be to come. It's going to become very fashionable at some point to not have a cell phone, to not be on call. Being disconnected will be the new connected and...uh you may cal me "Cool Jim" right now if you wish. Hehe Maybe a guy named Danny Villegas is also a trend setter. Uh, a prison trend setter. You see, Danny likes prison so much he staged a robbery just to get back in. Police officers were called to the Kennedy Space Center Federal Credit Union on Monday after Villegas allegedly walked inside, told the teller he was robbing her and said, "You might as well call the police now," according to a police report.
Police Lt. Ron Wright said Villegas then sat on a couch in the bank lobby to wait for police. "He said he wanted to rob a federal bank because he wanted to go back to a federal penitentiary," Lt. Wright said. "Apparently he robbed a bank in Fresno, California, 10 years ago, was sentenced to 70 months in a federal penitentiary in Phoenix and he enjoyed his time there."
Danny told police he was a roofer in Texas for five years after he was released from prison, but had grown tired of the work and wanted the controlled and peaceful existence of a federal prison cell. "Two days ago he said he decided to drive to Florida because he wanted to see the ocean," Lt. Wright said. "But he ran out of money".
The good thing about Danny's obsession about getting into prison is that it makes my anti cell phone obsession seem normal. Thanks Danny....

No comments:

Post a Comment