Sunday, June 28, 2009

Summertime, And The Living Is Not Easy

We had an awful storm the other day, gusts of wind up to 60 knots with heavy rain. I noticed some of the gutters were sagging and water cascading over the top. So this morning I got my ladder and cleaned them out of the rubbish that had accumulated from the roof. I hate that kind of physical work because I am spoiled an lazy (Go ahead and agree with my assessment). Summer has come again. Ugh! My subject headline today is a variation on a familiar refrain from a great old song. "Summer Time and the living is easy," goes the verse (feel fortunate I can't sing it for you. Hearing my unprofessional singing voice might ruin your summer). But I think it is an uneasy, no unpleasant time of the year for me. I abhor hot weather and summer here is HOT and humid. It reminds we New Orleanians that we live in a swamp.
And why is summer my least favorite time of the year. There is so much more than the heat.
- those boring sunny days that make the weather of summer too predictable.... And the favorite line we all hate to hear "Are you sure the air conditioner working?"
- Mosquitoes, gnats, roaches, sand flies...every other insect and creature that wants to bite me or suck my blood.
- green, green green...Green is nice but also monotonous during summer. I like the many colors of fall leaves, not the endless green, green, grass and leaves of summer.
- Fat guys and gals wear tank tops and shorts to display their cellulite. Ugh! I wish they could keep their heavy coast on all year round.
- Phony summer mall sales are everywhere. They think we are stupid enough to fall for them because it's so hot outside and cool in the mall. Yeah, I know they are right.
- Sitting on hot and sticky summer car seats that have been baking in the heat all day isn't a glory. How about grabbing the steering wheel that is roasting at 50 C, while you wait for the car AC to finally emit cool air?
- It doesn't get dark until 9 PM! I am not a vampire, but I enjoy night too. In summer we have too little of it.
- Institutional AC systems freeze em. It's not nice to come inside to a public building, and transition from 40 C outside to 10 C inside. Why do they keep it so cold in those places?
- High transportation and other travel costs in summer make it an expensive to to see the world. Even gas prices for an auto are at their highest.
- Hurricanes... You don't have them so I won't rant about them. But they cause high anxiety all summer here.
- Raking leaves and lawn care take so much time during summer.
Am I whining too much about your favorite season? Ok, there are a few good things about summer. Some of my favorites include:
- I love eyeing those pretty ladies in bikinis or shorts and those pump shoes that show off their assets
- I love those snowballs, icy drinks and other cool treats. They taste better in the awful heat of summer.
- When I was a teacher I loved the summer vacation- No more school , no more books, no more teacher dirty looks....
- It's the middle part of the year, a time for optimism that things will be better in the future and that cool weather is just a few months away.
- No Christmas shopping or holiday chores to do in summer.
- Life is slower, expectations lower and we have more excuses to "do nothing" (which may be the secret to a happy life). That's enough of that. It's time for your own summer views. What about it?
Is summer your favorite, least favorite or just another part of the calendar?

No comments:

Post a Comment