Sunday, May 3, 2009

Finding Or Snooping

The Internet sure is a place for everything. While logged into my Netscape home page (No cracks about Netscape, please...I love it) I saw some links under "finding people" that lead me to believe that anonymity may not be possible these days. Even George Bush doesn't spy as much as does the Internet.
For example, one of the entries under 'Finding People' is entitled "Unlisted Numbers". where a number of separate and various links send a person on a search to "Get unlisted numbers, find anyone in the USA! Search for free". I wonder how people who have unlisted numbers feel about their numbers being given to others this way. It can't be a good thing for them to be found so easily. After all, some people are in need of an unlisted number. Perhaps it is a person being stalked and trying to hide from the threat, or just someone who wants a new start in life and does not want others to know their number. Or someone who likes privacy. Don't we have the right to privacy?
Another entry under 'Finding People' is the "Cell Numbers" links. You know I have no sympathy for those annoying cell users. However, even I think it not proper to put unlisted cell numbers on the net. But you can do it at the links in that category, or just find listed cell numbers if you want (that will make the cell nuts crazy, for life would be meaningless if they could not chat on their phones). The problem is it's not just their phone numbers you will find, but also their addresses. I wonder if a criminal type uses such links to find names and addresses, to lead eventually to bank accounts and credit cards they might steal. And if the victim of identity theft from those sites sued, would a court rule it was a violation of privacy if one of those thieves stole a credit card by using the unlisted cell link? Surely, a victim will sue some day to recover damages from the site for giving away his or her unlisted number. I hope he or she wins that kind of suit.
The worst link title in the 'Finding People' section of my browser home page has to be the "Criminal Record" links. This one takes you to a series of ads that promise, for a fee that averages about $50, that you can do a criminal check on anyone..even me (Forget it! I am not a criminal, unless sending you my stupid E mails is considered a crime). One says it has a data base "of over 165 million records".
Hmmmmmmmm Have there been that many crimes committed? What does that say about the state of the world? Well, I guess a lady could check out her boyfriend or a man his girlfriend if either got suspicious about their sweetie. But is that a trusting relationship? Do we need criminal background checks before giving love to a special person? These links seem to be focused on background checks, liens, lawsuits and court rulings.
I think it an abomination that society is so suspicious and untrusting that such sites are popular. Finally, there is also a group of listings under 'Finding People' that are called "Find Old Friends". When I clicked it took me to a class reunion pay site. But if these "old friends" have been long forgotten why would I want to find them now? Maybe I want to forget them? Isn't it almost stalking to search for them? What would I do if I found one? All of this is superfluous to me. I am not interested in any of it and think we would be a better civilization without such sneaky searches. What is the point in such foolishness?
Maybe someone should do a criminal background check on the founders of those sites..........

No comments:

Post a Comment