Saturday, June 27, 2009

Donuts And Other Free Goodies

I got a curious E mail in my junk mail box yesterday. I like this junk mail because it is very creative and I enjoy figuring out the scam from come-on offers. But the one I got yesterday was a new concept in spam. Yep....I am now going to tell you about it.
The subject said -Hiring- Take Out Food Critics- and it had ab very pretty lady smiling below which said that I could "Become a Take Out Critic... get fast food for free! Get paid cash for your opinions!" Well the pretty lady and the fact that someone offered to pay me for doing the two things I do best- eat junk and criticize- was too much to pass. I decided to click the link to investigate further. The first page looked innocuous, concealing the scam. It just asked for my E mail address, so I gave them my junk mail (hot mail) address and proceeded to page two. On page two was an "application" to eat the junk food free and rate it. It asked for name and address, telephone number...the kind of information I was not about to give to a spam ad. Next to that application were a list of 24 places I would allegedly be able to eat free, including Dunkin Donuts (Haha I was tempted to sign up when I saw that one but my better judgment prevailed) , Cinnabon, Taco Bell, KFC, Baskin Robbins and many other popular chains here. I would be given $50 for each "assignment" and would report my findings after my meals. Since I was not going to fill out that form to precede, how was I to investigate where the trap was? Instead of completing the application I clicked the back button in my browser and the scam was revealed. There before me was a copy of the $50 "dining card" but also a list of "offers" that one must complete before getting the free meals.
It said that I must "complete any 1 of the sponsored offers listed below" if I wanted to be a free, fed, fast food, critic. The "offers" were actually obligations that one could not refuse if he or she wanted free junk food. Some of the offers from which to choose included: purchasing "Exclusive $117 DIANDRA 7-piece Cosmetic Collection for only $1"; a Discover Platinum Clear Card that promised 0% interest for the first 12 months; free computer lessons from the "Video Professor" (Yes, I probably need that one); A 'Your Music' card offer that said I can get any CD for $5.99, with free shipping from yourmusic.com; Two free Spanish lessons from On Lingo; A free trail for teeth whitening (Why do they assume they need whitening?); A 'Privacy Matters' free online credit report and credit store (anyone falling for this scam would probably not want to see their credit rating); Free samples from 'Trim Life' that guarantees that I will lose 10 pounds in 7 days (Don't even think about writing a suitability comment here!)...and about 10 more.
At the bottom of the list was a line that said "after you have chosen your offers, here are some 'bonus gifts' for you...." there were 14 of those including a "Free eBay Business Startup Kit". The strangest thing was when I closed out the site more free offers kept coming at me(even with my pop up blocker enabled), including a free lap top computer.....all because they want to give me $50 to eat junk food. I did escape but dared not click the link on the bottom of the original E mail spam that said it was can spam complaint and would remove me form the spam list if I clicked a link adjacent to the claim.
I know that would probably get me even more free fast food offers, and I am so hungry already at the thought I missed out on $50 worth of donuts. Reading mail sure can work up my appetite. I'd gladly pay a little extra to have more space to sit and recline in a plane. Swiss, a good airline, does not leav

No comments:

Post a Comment