Monday, February 2, 2009

Christmas Cards

While organizing and beginning to wrote my Christmas Cards for this year I paused and asked myself how much I knew about the tradition of sending Christmas Cards. The answer was "little".
Surely I knew they began in the 19th century in Victorian England, but the rest of the details escaped my memory. I have a fondness for the cards and think they are a tiny bit of politeness that remains in a vulgar world of cell phones (Hehe I couldn't resist the jab), instant gratification, over work, too little reflection and much much more. So I look forward to giving them to people I know and care about.
The great irony of them is that they are best given to those whom we do not have the closest dealings, whether it be by separation of distance, or a forgotten, neglected or lost friendship. How else can we keep in touch with those relatives we rarely see? Doesn't a Christmas card tell an E mail friend that they are as important as those friends we see often in out own town? And a Christmas card may be traditional or not, religious themed or lay, humorous or serious, elaborately crafted or simple.
Regardless of what the card looks like or depicts, they are all appreciated by the recipient. I mail them out with picture and sentiments truly felt to show all I care for that I am thankful for having them in my life...providing I have the address of the intended receiver.
Oh! Let me tell you the rest of the Christmas card tradition. I do "think too much" sometimes because I want to know whatever I can. I looked for the rest of the tradition to satisfy my own curiosity and to now pass it on to you. It seems that in 1843, British businessman Sir Harry Cole (No need to call me "Sir Jim") asked an artist named John Calcott Horsley to print cards representing Christmas that Sir Cole could give to his customers and friends.
One thousand cards were printed in black and white and then colored by hand. Those cards depicted a happy family raising a toast to the person receiving the card. But Cole's cards were criticized for promoting drunkenness. It wasn't until 1851 that a variety store owner named Richard Pease commissioned the first printed Christmas card in the United States.
In 1853 London printers Charles Goodall & Sons became the first to mass produce Christmas cards, with a card that gave us the phrase "A Merry Christmas". I wish you a Merry Christmas here and in my Christmas card.

No comments:

Post a Comment