Saturday, April 11, 2009

No Filming Allowed

I was reading about video cameras being used in hospitals, so you get my rhetoric on that today... I know I am a little strange, but is filming the birth of your baby really so bad? You see, when Jane was born, my ex wife and I did what many couples did, we decided to bring in our video camera and film after her birth, when Jane emerged into the world.
This was not a filming of the birth, a messy and painful experience, but a joyous recording of Jane entering into the world. The hospital was used to that practice and the anesthesiologist even offered to film for me so I could be in the picture as well. We have that tape and Jane has seen it many times. It is a wondrous view of her birth, something she can have to share with her own children.
If I ever become a parent again (Hehe.. I hear you laughing!) it is something I would suggest to my new spouse. But time is running out (both for me being a new dad and for this filming thing) for that option. I am reading quite a few reports in the media that most hospitals in the U.S no longer allow a video camera in the delivery room. It is a shame. The "official reasons" for the ban are safety and privacy concerns. But the real reason is more likely the fear that hospitals have of the tapes being used as evidence in malpractice suits.
Yep! The crazy suing mentality in the United States has apparently defeated the beauty of a filmed birth (Hmmmmmm If I were the hospital and wanted to make some easy money I might offer to film it for a fee, from a permanent camera mounted in the delivery room) , the most scared of moments for many parents. Hospitals think that, though the camera might not show any malpractice by the nurses, doctors or hospital, it still might be used as a weapon in manipulating one of those phony "pain and suffering" lawsuits that so often wind up as a big pay out to the suing party.
Some hospitals also say that bringing dirty cameras into the delivery room is in itself a possible danger to the birth baby, and that filming can distract personnel from their duties in the room. I doubt either of those two are sincere reasons, as there is no evidence that either has actually happened in a filmed birth episode. But what about overzealous dads? Suppose dad thinks he is a Hollywood director and gets carried away with the filming? (Hehe Imagine, "Wait, Doctor..I want to get shot of her uterus in the") .
Indeed, the first responsibility of the dad in the delivery room is to be with his spouse and to comfort and re assure her. But there is no real reason filming should interfere with that. Maybe the hospital should allow filming if doctors and other personnel agree to it, and to having the parents sign a waiver giving the hospital property rights to the film (In case of a tragedy happening in the birth process) .
Any opinion of whether to allow filming or not allow it? Would you do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment