Saturday, April 11, 2009

Kid Technology

How much technology equipment is suitable for a child"? You probably know that outside of a computer, I have little interest in or knowledge about high tech devices. I think that Jane has far more than I, and does have a Game Boy (her mom bought it for Jane) and a Play Station (a friend gave her that as a Christmas gift several years ago) device, some kind of music "thing" of which I am unfamiliar, and advice that has a screen on which she has a virtual pet. Though she hasn't asked for any technology (She knows I would never give her..or anyone..one of those "awful cell phones".
I rant about so much) this year, what if she does? What is appropriate for an 11 year old? In this time of high tech parents are more used to knowing when to buy that first bike, or let them pierce their ears than knowing what is an appropriate high tech "toy" for their kids. As we see by the rude behavior of cell phone users, even many adults seem not ready for those. Kids bug their parents for those gadgets, but we parents are leery about giving them.
Most experts say that the parents should keep an eye on his or her child to see how they are spending their time. If little Johnny, for example, is already devoting too much time to technology, he doesn't need more. There is no magic age when children can handle or want electronic devices. I think the parents should first determine whether he or she can afford the gifts, if the child is mature enough to handle it (unlike those babbling cell phone adults who abuses others with their loud public chat) , whether the kid wants the device or whether it is just feeling peer or advertising pressure to get it that makes that little one beg for the ipod or new computer.
In my culture I think the media drives most of that demand. the child is brainwashed by TV commercials to think he has to have those electronic toys. We have all heard of those kids that are so "connected" to their electronics that they don't even recognize the child sitting next to them in school. But then that's a case of parent neglect, for not monitoring time spent with those gadgets. Oh well....I wonder if parents really have the choice of eliminating those kinds of gifts. Maybe the best strategy is to limit them and to closely monitor their use. But one thing is certain! Jane will NEVER get a cell phone from me.
When is a person fat, when he thinks he is or when the scale shows it? No, no...I am not asking for myself. I know I need to lose a few pounds. But I pose the question because of a study of New York fat people. According to the city's Department of Health and Mental Hygiene almost 1 million New Yorkers (about 20% of the population) are obese, but nearly 2 out of 3 of them don't think they are.
It figures. the study said that only 44 % of New Yorkers are at a healthy weight and that 75% never exercise. What does this study lead me to conclude! I should move to New York so I can be considered lean and mean. Well.....I least I won't starve there.

No comments:

Post a Comment