Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Mardi Gras Reflections From Childhood

Time for some post Mardi Gras personal reflections about those parades about which I sometimes write here. I loved taking Jane to Mardi Gras parades this year. I always have. There are obvious reasons why. The parades are fun to attend, it's a nice family activity, and Mardi Gras is a special tradition few places have. But there is another reason I relish Mardi Gras parades with Jane.
It's that in seeing the parades with Jane I can relive my own childhood. That is, I remember many of the things my mom and dad did with me at the parades and am able to try and pass on the same kind's of memories with Jane. I find myself doing the same kinds of things for Jane my own parents did for me Bear with me as a relate a few of those.
I remember Mardi Gras Day, when my family would pack the fried chicken, sandwiches and other goodies, get dressed in costume and head out to our car, always before 6 am, so we could drive to our spot on Harmony Street, right the garden spot for parade watching, The street was shut of from traffic by 7 am. Thus we packed most things the night before and rolled out the door on time Mardi Gras morning. St. Charles Avenue, where all the parades and marching groups passed Mardi Gras day was steps from Harmony street.
Is that why Jane and I see all the parades at the same spot here in my city? May parents had friends who lived in a beautiful old house (now probably flooded by hurricane Katrina) on Harmony, so we and other groups would meet there. Now, when Jane and I attend the parades we recognize the same people at many of the parades. I suppose they are ritualistic as well.
My mom was the supplier of all goodies to eat, she cooked the day before Mardi Gras and loaded the ice chests that morning. My dad was the one who loved taking me to the parades. He was just as enthusiastic about them with me then as I am with Jane today. (The child is the father of the man!) It wasn't until I was older that I learned that the reason my dad seemed to be catching so many throws from those floats was not because of his leaping and catching ability, but rather because, at home before leaving for the parades, he stuffed his pockets with throws. As the float passed he secretly pulled a throw from his pocket and announced, "Look what I caught". He did it because he loved to see my excitement when displaying the treasure, as I love seeing Jane and her friends scrambling for those trinkets and beads. One time when I was about five years old, I remember my dad held me in his arms as we watched a parade from a distance too far away to catch many throws. I clinched and unclenched my tiny hand and meekly cried "Throw me something, Mister" (the carnival exhortation we still call out to attract the float rider's attention and garner his throws).
But wait! What was in my tiny hand? It was a wooden fan..and I caught it myself.....amazing...I was the happiest five year old in New Orleans who didn't know that I hadn't actually caught it, but that my dad had stuck the fan in my hand. And my playful father acted as amazed as I, congratulating me on a "great catch".
My Grandmother, my dad's mom, (the one who lived to 103, and whose sister died at 105) had a home near a parade route in New Orleans. So every year my dad took me to visit grandma and to see the parade. I still remember those times with him and treasure them often. We shared quite a few moments that must have been as meaningful to my father as to I. in fact I can almost see and hear him now as I type this. I remember the exact spot we would stand and can even remember some of our conversations at some of those parades., It was a chance for a father and son to have avery private and personal experience.
And taking Jane to parades now has given Jane and I the same kinds of moments. Why those "bonding times" occur so powerfully at Mardi Gras I do not know. Perhaps it is because the event is such a part of our city, our culture and our shared experiences. But I know that those parades and all the other fun things associated with Mardi Gras are good for a father and child. I am grateful for them and will try to never forget the joy they provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment