Wednesday, April 1, 2009

E mail Protocol

A question today? What is it about E mail (even official mail from an office communication) that makes us feel as through we are whispering in a friend's ear when really we are creating a printable record of our thoughts (in my case, crazy thoughts) and ideas that can be forwarded to countless others with the simple click of a button?
This question has risen because of the recent publication of a former FEMA Director who showed a cavalier attitude about helping we victims of Hurricane Katrina. Director Brown seemed more concerned with his appearance (For instance, he kept asking in his E mails if he should roll up his sleeves to look more "concerned" when on TV) than with providing emergency assistance to the hurricane area.
With E mail we don't have the luxury of denying the comments we make or even saying that it was taken out of context. By saving an entire E ail stream, opinions and ideas can be collected, forwarded, and printed out with dates and times included. It is surely "evidence" of a sort (though many courts classify conversational E mail as "informal" speech, and thus not binding legally).
So my point is that what you type, as in the case of fired FEMA director Brown, will be used against you. So here are some rules for writing E mail (that I myself, unfortunately, don't follow), particularly the "official stuff".
1) Never type in anger- in the E mail world and angry E mail is commonly called "flaming". But flaming is not smart or fair to the receiver. I think it best to save those emotional E mails in draft form, reflect for awhile and then re read it and revise to reduce some of the angry content.
2) Don't embarrass yourself- Ask before sending, "Would I mind seeing this printed on the company bulletin board or in a newspaper with my name attached?"
3) Write well and clearly- The tone of an E mail often don't translate accurately. So, proper grammar and punctuation can help prevent misperceptions by the reader. FEMA guy Brown wrote jestingly, "Can I quit now"? more than once, but he no doubt did not mean it literally. However, his opponents used those and other apparently unsympathetic E mail comments as a means for having him fired.
4) Limit the receivers- It is best to not send out comments that are too personal to too many recipients.
5) Keep separate business and personal E mail boxes- It always amazes me what my E friends write from their work places. Surely their personal E mails must be available for a snooping boss or colleague. I would never write a personal E mail form anywhere except my personal mail box.
6) Never send out another's E mail without permission- Those group E mails can be killers. I think ti not a good idea to ever send a group mailing because one or more of the recipients may betray your confidence and forward your message to the 'wrong person".
7) Be kind- When I have gotten an angry E mail or one with misinformation, I try to give the sender a chance to rethink ( when not upset) or restate before responding or forwarding a message I wrote. I do think kindness here and off line is always the best way to communicate with anyone.
Well, having given all those nice suggestions....the main question is how quickly I myself will ignore my own advice, Happy E mailing!

No comments:

Post a Comment