Friday, November 10, 2017

Technology Is Making This Obsolete

I read an article about one of my not so favorite things- modern technology. I dislike much of the technology today but I loved the article that listed 20 things most people don't do because technology has made them unnecessary. I wont' go through all of them but picked ten of them, some I like and some  don't. I still contend modern technology has caused more social problems than it has alleviated.  Here are 10 of those rituals that are no longer necessary in high tech households, but in low tech ones like mine may not be a blessing.

Five of those I agree are blessing:

1. There is no need to memorize phone numbers anymore. Storing them is easy and for an idiot like me, who is incapable of memorizing that many numbers in sequence I know have an excuse when someone ask me for a number and i can't give it....even when it's my own number.
2. GPS Technology helps family members and close friends pinpoint each others precise location quickly in case of an emergency. Even I use a GPS device when driving to a new address. it is easier and more reliable than trying to accurately read a paper map.
3. There is no longer a need to make print photo albums. I am not sure about the value of relying only ion digital pictures, but I admit it's easier to store photos that way and, theoretically, they get lost less often and last much longer. Besides, the old days of dropping off rolls of film at a one hour photo shop or waiting days to see if "they all came out" and were usable when developed was not a good thing. Instead of pasting snapshots into an album, most people prefer the ease of photo sharing services. But then it does make for excessive picture taking and display of them, which can be annoying to us all.
4) No need to collect CD's or record albums with digital movie platforms. Even I see the value of that.
5) Travel agents are becoming extinct. Kayak, CheapFlights  and endless more have completely transformed how we book our passage fares and accommodations. I suspect we do it better ourselves and that this has lowered our travel costs.

Five of those technological changes I think don't benefit me:

1. No need to use a phone book- For non Luddites that's great. But I still use phone books to locate numbers when my computer is not turned on. With my not owning or using the worst invention of the century, a cell phone, for me it's either look on line with my computer or use the phone book.
2. Compute math in one's own head- I do most of the math that way because I was taught to do it without the use of devices. Why, I am old enough to remember when there were no hand calculators. Figuring math without the use of an electronic computation device is a great mental exercise, and I am certain those of us who don't rely on electronic devices to compute, do computations better.
3. The death of the analogue clock and near death of watches. Few people with cell phones bother with watches anymore, unless they're fashion statements or fitness trackers. Schools don't teach kids how to read an analogue time piece anymore since they are fading from use. But I love old clocks and still have them in my house. Can you imagine a grandfather clock that was digital? Yuk.
4. No need to watch TV shows live because they are recorded always available on demand. This is irrelevant for me since i rarely watch any TV, live or recorded. There is so much stupidity on the boob tube, why would I want to view it on demand?
5) There is no need to hand write letters anymore. Oh, I think technology is killing our use of correctly using the language because writing electronically is a English teacher's worst nightmare.
 What used to be formal writing, with correct grammar and usage is no a mess of informal slang, written as if a 5 year old was the composer. Society sanctions child-like language usage when it is written electronically. This is killing its proper usage.

Technology does change us in many ways, but technology changes so fast these days it's hard to even recognize we are being changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment