Saturday, September 24, 2011

Autumn

It is delightful outside for walking or anything one does for exercise, so cool and pretty. I see the leaves on some trees already have red, orange, yellow and other shades of color and some have fallen now. Autumn is wonderful. It is one of the better times of the year. Soon pumpkin stands will sell their bright orange Halloween favorites and that will put me in the mood for Halloween. When I was a child my mom and dad would take me to see "the pumpkins" and to pick and buy a few for decorating our house. Fall is the time when we can safely be kids again because everyone else wants to be a child in fall too.


Hmmm Let me tell you some of the things I like about Autumn. Maybe you'll agree or can add some of your own. Or maybe you dislike Autumn and prefer another season to it. Some of my favorite autumn sights are: school buses and kids heading to school (but only now that I no longer teach... it wasn't fun for me when I had to teach the kids); Pumpkin coffee and sweets everywhere around me; Two of my favorite holidays are in fall, Halloween and Thanksgiving; fallen. colorful leaves on the lawn in the gutter and street; football games; apple cider and candy apples; the sweaters people wear that are as colorful as the autumn leaves; Halloween candy, those haunted houses and Halloween decorations; turning off the air conditioning and enjoying the cool breezes through an open window; baking and eating fruit pies, whose ingredients are fresh from local orchards; the smell of cinnamon and pumpkin spice; seeing and smelling the smoke from fireplaces finally lighted after summer's sleep; the colors of fall, which are magnificent because they are so varied and a reminder of how beautiful nature can be; the end of any of those awful hot summer days; the realization that fall brings of our own human seasons (changes).


That cinches it for me. I know autumn is the best of the seasons, and to prove it I shall head for the kitchen to make pumpkin bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment