Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Old School

I wish more young people would see the value of being "Old School". Uh, old school refers to the in which people used to relate to each other with manners rather than with expediency (as in tweets and messaging instead of face to face communication). I know that I am old school because it is the university I grew up attending, and that today's manner less culture is a whole different kind of institution. But I believe that etiquette which shows respect for others is a kinder, gentler, nicer, better way in which to live life. So I have tried to emphasize to my daughter that old school has its advantages, and I think she understands and is old school too.

Writing formal thank you notes, walking from an auto to the front door and knocking instead of honking the auto horn, not using a phone in public, holding open a door for anyone who needs assistance because he or she is carrying a bag of groceries, smiling and saying hello when crossing the path of strangers, and deferring to the driver at an opposite street intersection when both cars are stopped area few od the old school behaviors I see with less and less frequency among both old school and new school people. It's a shame.

I understand that old school coincides with being old fashioned, but I like it because I have lived in both the old and new eras and see that the former was a far more enjoyable one in which to be when relating to and with others.  I do understand that modern technologies tends to make it easier to not be old school, and that cultures do evolve (or devolve, as in this case) over time. But perhaps being old school might spark a desire in others to give it a try. Parents can teach old school behavior, but only by modeling it with their own actions, and that is something modern humans seem less likely to do.

I wonder if others feel as I do. Do you think society that we create in our dealings with others is kinder today?  Am I just old fashioned and out of touch? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment