Sunday, April 29, 2012

Incoming Checks

Do you ever get checks in the mail from businesses of people who claim you overpaid for their service? I just got three more of them and it makes me wonder if my memory is slipping or if I am even stupider than i thought I was. Why else would I overpay so much?

One of the checks is from my mortgage company, an escrow excess (about $120). It seems that they charged me more than they should have for escrow. But how come I didn't known that before they sent me the check? They could have not sent me the money and I would never have known. Hmmmmm That's evidence of the stupidity, rather than memory, reason for me getting those checks. I think I prefer being stupid to losing memory because I can do something about stupidity.

The second check I received this week was from a dermatologist daughter Jane sees for an acne problem on her back. Each time I pay $25 and the insurance pays the balance of the office charge. I am sure I paid that co payment, but they claim I didn't. This could mean I am not stupid as I thought above, but that I have a failing memory. If that is the case I hope I can remember more important "stuff' like to zip up. First you forget names, then faces, then to zip up, and then to zip down. AHHHHHHH I refuse to check my records to see if I forgot to make the co payment. It's too much of a discovery for me.

That third check that was sent to me is from an insurance company and is in the tiny amount of $30. I have no idea why I go that amount and this could prove I am both stupid and forgetful. I could probably call them and ask why they sent the check but who wants to question money that has fallen from the sky. It's just $30 and I have already established I am both stupid and have no memory. If I phone and ask them and ask I may discover another of my flaws. Or they may say it is their mistake and take back the money.

When I was young many years ago I once opened a monthly bank checking account statement I received in the mail and found almost 1 million dollars had been deposited into it. My balance went from a few thousand to about a million. I was sort of happy. But I didn't put a million dollars in it. Knowing that spending any of that money would be a criminal offense I called the bank and casually asked if my statement was correct. They told me that my account number was one number from a bigger account and that the bank mistakenly transposed the account balances. At that point I was out of a million dollars.

But it proved that banks an also be stupid and forgetful. It's reassuring to me as I look at those three mystery checks.

No comments:

Post a Comment