Sunday, August 15, 2010

More Opinions

Ok, sorry..but I am not finished ranting about opinions... One thing opinion can do is to make a person seem prejudiced, biased or stubborn. This is or is not the case, depending on whether the opinions are "informed ones" or just ignorant guesses one convinces him or herself are truths. Uninformed people who hold opinions that they don't truly understand or haven't thought out are best left alone, patronized or slapped across the face. Just kidding about the slapping, though maybe it might make them think more and opinion ate less.

It's interesting how opinions can become dogmatic beliefs that the holders are certain are not really opinions, but rather universal truths the rest of us are too dumb to yet know. So they spend their lives trying to educate us that their opinion is fact. Smiling without comment is the best way to deal with those dogmatic opinion givers.

One of the worst things to have an opinion about is religion. No matter what a person thinks about an aspect of religion, there will always be other opinions to counter whatever religious opinion is expressed. My strategy when hearing someone express a religious opinion is to change the subject. Discussing religion, a subject that is complete opinion in itself since it is faith based, is like arguing about which band is best or whether apple pie is better than lemon. Too, the religious opinionaters (It's my opinion that this isn't a real word, but it sounds cute) inject many opinions about their favorite subject of religion.

Take prayer in school, as an example. It is my opinion that prayer doesn't belong in school, education does. If kids don't have to pray at the doctor's office, the neighbor's kid's birthday party or before turning the TV on or off, why must they pray in school? School prayer makes about as much sense as church math.

I just gave an opinion, something smart people try to avoid. I am unable to avoid it, ergo I am....never mind that. If I ever ran for political office I would not get many votes. I have too many opinions that rub others the wrong way. For instance, I don't like abortion, but I like those people who like abortion a whole lot more than those who campaign against abortion. Who would vote for a politician that would say that? No one. Of course, that's just my opinion. And I am done writing about it..

No comments:

Post a Comment