Sunday, August 15, 2010

Hairy Thoughts

'Give me a head with hair, long beautiful hair
Shining,gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen
Give me down to there, hair, shoulder length or longer
Here baby, there, momma, everywhere, daddy, daddy
Hair, flow it, show it
Long as God can grow, my hair'

No, I am not going crazy thinking about hair. I'm just reflecting about it after having my hair cut today, and think the lyrics from the old "Hair" tune above is a good way to get you into a hairy mood. What do you feel when you have your hair cut or "done" (most makes, me included, just get a cut, not done)? I get a number of impressions and unluckily for you will waste you time today reflecting on them.

Getting haircut is a rebirth experience for me. Uh, I believe (or pretend) that I have a more boyish look after it's done and that it makes me feel younger. No wonder children cry then the barber cuts their hair. If there is anything a 5 year old doesn't want it is to look like, it's a 3 year old. But I haven't been five years old in at least a couple of years.

I also think it changes our personality when we have our hair cut or styled. It's a case of believing what we expect to be. This is not to say i think i am brad Pitt after today's cut. Women have this feeling more often than men because they both cut and/or style their hair more often than men and they are more appearance oriented than men. That's because we men know we are pigs regardless of what our hair looks like. So we care less how it looks.

Another thing that happens when I get a haircut is I get plenty of philosophy thrown at me while sitting in the barber chair. The barber and everyone else in the shop suddenly become philosophers about politics, sports, women and the general state of the world. Often I think they are all wrong, but I always agree with the barber/hairstylist since he or she is the one with the straight razor pushed against my face. But why is it that women in their "beauty salons" would rather gossip than solve the world's problems as we men do in the barbershop?

Hmmm Oh well, maybe my barber put too much cologne on my face today and I am just thinking too much about nothing

No comments:

Post a Comment