Tuesday, January 12, 2016

David Bowie And Culture

It's odd how quickly one can feel old and disconnected from the modern culture. David Bowie's death reminded me of that. Though he was 69 years old at death, even at that age I still viewed him as the young, rebellious and unique performer of the day. But in fact, Bowie had long ago transitioned into a more conventional performer. It must be true that celebrities age more slowly than we age, because we tend to fix on a moment in their career, usually when they were younger and first showed their faces, and to define them thereafter as that moment in time. For me, Bowie will always be more 25 than 69.

Most of the stars of my youth, even  some that are from my not so young years, have passed on. Since I abhor so much of the current common culture I am left to live with memories of those I have liked or live through film or other records from the celebrities own youth.  I was never a big fan of Bowie, yet he served as a fixed point in my life

because he was a central figure of my youth. No wonder I still believe the Beatles were the greatest band in modern times, and that their music is as appealing to me today as it was when I first heard it. When the last Beatle dies I might as well die too, for there will be little left with which I can identify.

I am not advocating that we should live in the past and always reject what the new culture offers. New can be great culturally, even superior. But I do contend that as we age most of us do attach ourselves to the past. It's a defense mechanism and a way of avoiding having to step into a world which we don't care for much at all. Few humans can not do that. We all embrace new technologies and inventions that benefit us in some physical way. Yet, cultural changes we often stubbornly resist. Maybe we have to do that or we will completely lose our identity.

May you rest in peace, David Bowie.

No comments:

Post a Comment