Monday, December 12, 2011

To Many Ears Listening

I saw a TV commercial the other day that actually got my attention. In fact, TV itself usually doesn't get my attention. I think the low level of commercials reflects the low level of TV, but that's a subject for another day. This commercial advertisement is for the Sonic Earz line that sells for under $20 and claims to make sounds and voices clear to the ear by using hearing amplification and "a new hearing aid technology". The Sonic Earz hearing aid is said to be better than most average listening devices. It is designed to help you clearly hear up to 30 yards away. (Oh, my. It reads here as if I am advertising that.)


It also has a volume control switch to select the sound level desired and can be worn in the ear much as a hearing ad is. But this product is clearly not for people with hearing problems. It is not usable as hearing aid and the commercial shows some rather intrusive uses. In one segment, a man is chatting with another and tells him, " I'm going to ask Karen to marry me". Of course, sneaky Karen is conversing with another person way across the room, but hears her boyfriend declare his proposal intention ahead of the actual proposal moment. She smiles radiantly because she has effectively spied on his conversation. Good luck to that man in his marriage to Karen. I think she will keep a very close tab on all he does.


But wait! I looked online and found there are manyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy listening devices just like that one. It seems the technological boom includes finding more ways to betray the trust of others by using technology to spy on others. I wish I could find a privacy device that would block the spies. Yet, no one is offering that kind of block.
I think as our privacy becomes more rare and more dear, that a device that blocks the spies and other technology could be the next product sensation. It should be my right to have my stupidity not broadcast to anyone else, without my approval. people should be able to tell my many defects just by observing me face to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment