Friday, April 29, 2011

Soapy Thoughts

This is going to be a clean message, but only because I am going to write about soap. I had another lapse in mind the other day and bought some of those designer soaps, including an "orange blossom and something' soap I used when I showed a few minutes ago. It inspired me to think about soap....or maybe the awful smell of it (it smelled like burnt orange and some other identified odor) was too much to take alone, and now I pass on to you the punishment of reading my soapy remarks.


There are to many soaps today. it use to be we had a choice of which white bar soap to buy. They are were simply made and did the same thing. No more! Now we have celebrity labeled soaps, liquid soaps, antibiotic soaps, fragrant soaps, soaps that treat skin disorders, soaps for dry skin or too moist skin, all natural soaps, facial soaps, dandruff soaps, decorative soaps..ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh It never ends. I even saw one soap that was billed as "Protects against Lycanthropic beasts" (that would be to save you from werewolves). It all smells to me, and it isn't a good odor.


Soaps have become like the bottled water that we are sold, a once simple product now jazzed up too much for marketing purposes. But real soap in its simplest and best form is nothing more than a combination of a fatty acid and an alkali oil...just two ingredients are needed...that's it. But no more. Now what is in soaps is a combination that would baffle anyone, all in an attempt to market brand a soap as better than a competitor's. Like water, basic soaps are all the same. So differentiation is needed to sell soap as in the many bottled waters created form plain water so that people spend their hard earned money to make the sellers wealthy.


Another of the fragrant soaps that I bought when I purchased the orange blossom soap I showed with today is called Fig Fuge bath Scent. Here's what in that one: Sodium Stearate, Aqua/Water/eau, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Layrate, Sodium Myristate, Glycerin, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Laurel Sulfate, Sorbitol, Tianium Dioxide (CL 77891), Parfum/fragrence, Butylated Hydrooxytoluene, Red 40 (CI 16035) Yellow 5 (CI 19140)


Gee, they make it so easy for us to understand the chemicals they put in soap. And I paid extra for this Fig soap. I wonder why there are no figs in the ingredients? Never mind! I'm eventually going to rub that soap on my face. It's better to just "clean" my mind of any more thoughts of soap. It's too dirty a topic for me. Frankly, it stinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment