Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Senior Texting Language

The golden oldies (let's say....over age 65) are making their presence felt now more and more. It's not just their increasing numbers (in 1790 only 2 percent of the population was over 65, now it is 13%). They even tweet now, and like those teenagers who speak in tongues only known to each other, the oldies have their own tweet and chat language when they go on line. Just drop by any nursing home and check out the computer area. You'll learn allot about English by listening in on the golden oldie chat.


I found the most common senior acronyms on line, the STC (Senior Texting Code), and lucky you...you get to read and learn the acronyms. If you think Paris Hilton's "That's Hot" or that 13 year old girl's lol are passé, maybe you can start adopting the STC code instead. You don't have to be an oldie to use the oldie language. Here is the latest in STC you can use with others face to face, on line or in your phone.

ATD: At The Doctor’s
BFF: Best Friend Farted
BTW: Bring TheWheelchair
BYOT: Bring Your Own Teeth
CBM: Covered By Medicare
CUATSC: See You At The Senior Center
DWI: Driving While Incontinent
FWB: Friend With Beta Blockers
FWIW: Forgot Where I Was
FYI: Found Your Insulin
GGPBL: Gotta Go, Pacemaker Battery Low!
GHA: Got Heartburn Again
HGBM: Had Good Bowel Movement
IMHO: Is My Hearing Aid On?
LMDO: Laughing My Dentures Out
LOL: Living On Lipitor
LWO: Lawrence Welk’s On
OMMR: On My Massage Recliner
OMSG: Oh My! Sorry, Gas.
ROFL… CGU: Rolling On The Floor Laughing… And Can’t Get Up
SGGP: Sorry, Gotta Go Poop
TTYL: Talk To You Louder
WAITT: Who Am I Talking To?
WTFA: Wet The Furniture Again
WTP: Where’s The Prunes?
WWNO: Walker Wheels Need Oil

Oh my, those old-timers are either creative with their acronyms or showing signs of Alzheimer's. But don't blame the oldies. They have to use this kind of language in response to because younger friends and family send them messages and tweets in their own acronym language. Old Mildred can't be blamed for sending her own texts in STC language. What's good for the 20 year old is good for the oldie or as they might text it, "I just WTFA again but I am ATD for my constipation. WTP! Good thing my bowel problems are CBM. WAITT.. Sorry, I sometimes can't remember. OMSG. Hallelujah! SGGP...CUATSC.

No comments:

Post a Comment