Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Finding Letters

Yesterday I began cleaning out a large wooden tool/storage cabinet in the utility room in my late brother's house. This room is outside but attached to the house, and is the last one I must tend too in order to clean the house for whomever purchases it.
I was very surprised to find, among the old tools and knic knacks, my father's duffel bag from his days in the U.S. Air Corps during W.W. II. It had virtually disintegrated in the 60 years it had been stored there, but inside I found a trove of letters (mostly to my mother and his parents) written to my dad or by him during his more than 2 years in North Africa during W.W.II.
He was a cryptographer for the Air Corps, involved in trying to break the German code used by the famous German tank commander Field Marshal Rommel. My mom always said my dad was "romantic and dashing" as a youth. Haha Based on my dad's unromantic nature I wondered whether she was exaggerating, but now know it is true.
I read some of his letters to her, and they are largely filled with cooing and affirmations of love and hope for the future. One was written in August of 1945, the day the world learned that Japan had surrendered, ending the war. In it, my dad told my mom that he couldn't wait to get home to start the family they had planned and bring into the world their "baby Jane". My mom always wanted a little girl (she probably lost that girl when the second baby died in childbirth). How ironic that the child they wanted would be named "Jane". My own baby Jane does exist.
No wonder my parents were thrilled at having my little Jane as their grand daughter.
I also found many pictures from the war, some of my father in Morocco and Algeria and some of the relatives from both my mother's and father's family. There was also my dad's old uniform, too tattered (falling apart) to keep, some of is uniform insignias and some coins from North Africa my dad must have had on his person when he left to return to the U.S.
As happy as I am to find this material and to think about my parents, it makes me a bit melancholy about their deaths. I think this is the last of the secret family treasures to find. There is little left in the cabinet and the house is virtually cleaned of everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment