Sunday, September 23, 2012

First Names

Someone I met for the first time yesterday asked me if I wanted to be called 'James' or 'Jim'. English language first names are quite adaptive, probably because we Americans are an informal people. Though my formal name is James, my most commonly used adult name is Jim and my childhood name was 'Jimmy'. Well, actually, some people still call me Jimmy, and others prefer either James or Jim. It matters not to me what they call me, but I think it would be helpful to stick to one of those (and 'Jim' is most often used, so I'll go for that). When they start calling me all three I know it must be be proof that I am schizophrenic.

A problem with finding and sticking to one English language first name is that some people don't fit either the formal or informal versions of their first name.  No one, for instance. would call the late author Ernest Hemingway, "Ernie".  It doesn't fit because it doesn't sound intellectual enough.  But comic Chris Rock probably would not seem so funny if we called him 'Christopher' Rock. It sounds like the name of a scientist or surgeon.  Just think if Donald Trump were known as 'Donnie' Trump. It would make him seem more like a pro boxer rather than a....err...whatever that guy is. And who would want to go to 'Walter' Disney World'. It wouldn't be the same place.

Then there are people who need a middle name or initials to go with their first name in order for their image to be complete. T.S. Eliot, H.G. Wells, Martin Luther King,  Ralph Waldo Emerson, for example, would be unrecognizable if  they were known as Thomas Eliot, Herbert Wells,  Martin King or Ralph Emerson. Others create an image by dropping their given first name altogether and substituting something singular. 'Whoppi Goldberg', 'Snoop Dog',  and 'Lady Gaga' come to mind.

Then there are people who hate their names so much they call themselves by one entirely different and new name. 'Cher' and 'Madonna', and 'Bono' are a few we all know well. But then, some celebrities are so proud of their given first names they use it exclusively. We would have a hard time recalling the last names of those single named people. 'Beyonce' , 'Kobe' 'Prince' and 'Shaq' are a few of those.

I like to give people nicknames, and most of them like it too. Sometimes we get a nickname and it sticks to us for life. Nicknames give us a special position in the world, make us distinct. Even when the nicknames are less than flattering, they eventually become endearing. How about 'Magic' Johnson, 'Meatloaf' (Marvin Aday), 'Mr. T' (Lawrence Tero), 'Queen Latifa' and 'Sting' (Gordon Sumner)?  Uh, if you have any nicknames for me I request that you make it civil. No vulgarity, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment