Saturday, March 3, 2012

Mardi Gras

I enjoyed my return to New Orleans, seeing Mardi Gras, visiting, and eating some of the best food in the world. It is said that when one travels he or she takes on new perspectives of places seen or lived in. I think it is true. Being in New Orleans reinforces my positive beliefs that the people there are among the friendliest and funniest and that New Orleans food is special (every meal I had was a 4 or 5 star one). It also reminds me of some of the negative aspects of the city, the too hot and humid climate, the high poverty and crime rates and the risk one takes in, living in a city that is one flood or hurricane away from obliteration.


My return also makes me reflect on my new home of Portland. I was reminded of how beautiful Portland is and its wonderful climate. negatively, it also reinforced my displeasure with the food here and the aloof nature of Portland's people. On the whole, I think both places are better than most and I have been fortunate to live in each during my lifetime.
But Mardi Gras was the allure for me to return and it did not disappoint.

I am one of the group of people who loves Mardi Gras, seeing it as a catharsis and the embodiment of the fun atmosphere of the people of New Orleans. I attended some parades prior to my day in the French Quarter Mardi Gras Day (where some of the best costumes can be found) and the atmosphere along the parade routes was electric , welcoming and exciting. I remember the family from Houston (who also who had moved from New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina and were back in the city for Mardi Gras) who practically adopted me that day with food offered, conversation about what we all missed after being away from the city, sharing parade throws caught from floats etc.


It is said that carnival can't work in any other city because the people in other places don't know how to behave. With a million people on the streets at Mardi Gras it's amazing that the controlled chaos results in fun and laughter with crime or unpleasantness happening on a rarely, parade goers can drink too much alcohol without being unpleasant, can set up chairs, small tents barbecue pits or seafood boils without imposing on others, can compete for throws from floats without ever fighting over what is tossed, can appreciate the bands and elaborate floats that are presented for enjoyment by private krewes who pay for it without any public money being spent, can do what New Orleanians do best......have more fun in a safer and bizarre way than residents of any other city.

No comments:

Post a Comment