Monday, June 28, 2010

Redlands Or Rednecks

I have a grandfather clock that was set up the other day by a clock repair and assembly company here in Portland. But the key to the clock case, like so much else in my move from New Orleans, is missing. The clock "guy" who checked the clock and set it up again mentioned that if took the clock mechanism with me and drove to his business about 30 minutes from here, he would fit the lock and give me a key for about $8. That's far better than another expensive house call to have another clock case key.

Today I took the drive and will relate an observation about Redlands (which is a distant suburb of Portland, yet a rural unincorporated area of farming and lumbering). I was struck by the redneck nature of Redlands. This verifies what I have observed during my trips to Portland. The area has an element that very much resembles rural Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama or any other deep south state. This surprises me very much, though I find it charming and genuine (maybe I am a redneck too?).

Redlands is quite bucolic, with 'U pick' fruit and veggie farms, cattle, lamb and other livestock grazing on farms and next to residences. It shows both run down and luxurious homes among the rolling, timbered enclave of Redlands, and also has a few "country" style businesses so reminiscent of rural Louisiana. I just had to stop for lunch at the 'Redlands Cafe' since it had a sign screaming "Barbeque Thursday nights". In the south, any place serving barbeque is guaranteed to be quaint, welcoming and eccentric.When I entered I saw all the southern traits that I know and am amused by. There were tattoos, pot bellied men dressed in overall jeans, convivial conversation among the patrons (this is not evident in many places in Oregon, where the residents do not like or engage in small talk), rather "relaxed " service from waitresses....everything except the quality of food was to my taste.

I ordered a simple hamburger and french fries because simplicity is best when eating in Oregon, a land where proper cooking is rare. The burger was overcooked and without much taste, the fried the standard frozen variety served at fast food places. Oh, and the serving portion was the usual Oregon BIG. They do like large quantity when eating meals.Still, I found the people, places and look of Redlands to be curious and charming.

Too, I'll have to go back. The clock man and his one man shop was closed. I remain both clue less (personally) and key less (my grandfather clock case).. so will try to return before I leave Portland at the end of next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment