Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Turkey Day

Thanksgiving is often called "Turkey Day" in the U.S. And it should be. I read recently that 88% of Americans eat turkey on Thanksgiving Day.  Thanksgiving became a federal holiday in 1863 after a proclamation by President Abraham Lincoln, and the turkey got included in the tradition thereafter, even though the first "Thanksgiving Day" dinner that the American Indians and the European settlers in the early 1600's did not include turkey on the menu. It was probably a good thing, because cooking a turkey to proper doneness and moistness is not an easy thing. People try every cooking method possible with varying success. But when done right turkey is tasty. It's so good that there are three towns in the U.S. that are named after turkey: Turkey, Texas (population 465); Turkey Creek, Louisiana (population 363); and Turkey, North Carolina (population 270).

When astronauts Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin sat down to eat their first meal on the moon, their foil food packets contained roasted turkey and all of the trimmings. But when I was a little boy I so disliked turkey and complained about having to eat it on Thanksgiving Day, that my mother gave me my favored alternative- a bologna sandwich. Maybe that's why I am weird today. I am full of bologna. But I do like turkey now, and most of those traditional side dishes as well. The Pumpkin and Pecan pies that go with it never pass my lips. Other than that I will eat the entire Thanksgiving meal.

I do believe Americans like the concept of a day in which they overeat foods they rarely touch the other 364 days of the year.  Turkey Day is an excuse for family, friends and acquaintances to confirm that it's probably better that the group meets only one time a year. There are some odd characters in a typical family. Hearing the crazy aunt's stories about her hemorrhoids or cousin Fred's dirty, insulting jokes is a bit much to take more than once a year. But mixed in with the unpleasantness, Turkey Day does make one feel more tied to the family and traditions.

I also think Turkey Day is a link to the past for us, to our American history, which is the source of Turkey Day, and to our personal familial history. In a high tech future oriented world of  indifference and ignorance of the past it is soothing to gather the same way people have for centuries to eat too much and to talk about ourselves, our lives and whether the turkey will be dry for the feast or luckily cooked to perfection.  At each Turkey Day feast we also quietly warn everyone there to avoid the side dishes that no body wants to eat (though many moms usually make the kids eat them) that appear each year, the Jell-O salad or the mystery vegetable casserole that seems to be moving.

I guess Turkey Day is worth the trouble. William Shatner, Captain Kirk of Star Trek, says that one of his favorite meals is a simple turkey Burger. I wonder if the Kilingons also eat turkey.  Oh well, I had my Turkey Day dinner last week so maybe I should see if I can find some bologna to Eat Thanksgiving Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment