Monday, January 16, 2012

Too Hard To Open

I just had armed combat with a container of gelato. And it was all about opening the thing. I couldn't get it open and no matter how hard I tried to figure out the method, I resorted to a wrench and pried it open. My reward was the Tiramisu gelato was outstanding, a lucky find in an upscale grocery store, it was imported from Verona, Italy and it was as creamy and as nice as many gelato ice cream servings I had there. But, Sigh, even the Italians seem to have a proclivity for making products which are way too difficult to open.


Have you noticed how hard it is to open things you buy at stores? They are either so complicated as to the way to be opened or too tight to open. What happened to twisting or tearing something open. If you try to twist open a top now, you have to be a circus strong man to do it. And those cardboard drink cartons......how many times do milk cartoons not open with the push up direction given on the container. You end up prying it open with a screwdriver and find that in doing so you have created a drip every time you pour a glass of milk.


What about the plastics that they use to seal products, like the cable you buy for your computer. They never pop open as directed. I always wind up giving up and just cut through them with a knife or with scissors. Who ever invented those packages and the plastic snap package they use to enclose baked goods at grocery stores, should be tried and executed immediately. I think that if a person were lost in a forest and had one of those snap close package of rolls in his backpack, he or she would probably starve to death because of the impossibility of opening the package.


Why do they make boxes and packages so hard to open? Even opening the standard the Fed Ex boxes now requires a plan, patience and luck. I guess they make them that way so no one can tamper with them in stores or when in transit, and because it protects the product from damage while in transport. The contents of the packages are protected by the packaging way more than I want.

It's for their convenience, not the consumer's. I wonder if Microsoft designed those packages. I may be paranoid but it reeks of their brand, the "Let's see how un necessarily complicated we can make this" style. Don't those medicine bottles that are "childproof" remind you of opening Windows 7?


I don't mind taking a chance that a product can be tampered with. Just give me a package I can easily open. Oh, if this rant on bad packaging was difficult to open, please send your complaint to microsoft, not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment