Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Losing Luggage

It's time for a positive rant. Yep! It's me, not some sane person who has kidnapped my computer. I know I usually complain about something/everything, so maybe I should see a mental health for a mental health evaluation, because today I come to praise the airlines...sort of. I don't want to go overboard and leave the impression that the U.S. airline conglomerate is doing a good job. They are still torturing us in many ways, with small seats, delays, unfair pricing etc.  But alas!  Reports about airplane baggage handling have come in from a SITA Baggage Report 2016 that say that luggage now has the best chance ever of making it to its destination.

I have never had any of my luggage lost. Therefore, I can't relay any past personal complaints about the subject. You can tell me about your own if you had any lost luggage stories. Too, now that I have come to praise the airlines for their baggage handling it is a near certainty that they will lose my bag when I next fly. There is an unwritten law that those who praise an airline are sure to be punished soon thereafter. I better pack an extra pair of underwear in my carry-on next flight.

Here is what SITA reports. During 2015, the rate of mishandled bags by airlines worldwide was 6.5 bags per thousand passengers. That’s a 10.5% drop in the mishandled bags rate over 2014, when you take into account the increase in the number of passengers (3.5 billion) airlines carried last year. That’s also an all time low in the mishandling rate since 2003, when SITA, an air transport communications and IT company owned by the industry, began tracking and reporting baggage handling trends.

Wow! Maybe the airlines are not trying hard enough to lose our luggage, or is it that they are concentrating with extra efforts to harass us in other ways? Hmmmm My praise of them  has already turned to condemnation. This proves that either I am incapable of seeing the good in huge corporations, or that I am completely delusional. Blame it on those torturous past airline flights I endured if the latter is the case

No comments:

Post a Comment