Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Males Watching Female Olympians Compete

I am watching a beach volleyball, Olympic game, semi final  match as I start typing this. I am not a big fan of volleyball, but the fact that the ladies are in bikinis is a lure that makes most man a fan of that.  Female beach volleyballs consistently gets among the highest TV veiwer ratings each Olympics.Which of the teams wins in those games is of no consequence at all to me. the U.S. beach volleyball team is ranked number one his Olympics and is the two time defending gold medal winners in the event. But the opponent, China, is also highly ranked and....well...I confess to being a male chauvinist pig here.... because..... I am rooting for the Chinese girls to win because they are smoking hot whether playing the game or not. Haha  In sports that I have no interest in I root for the sexiest ladies. Hmmm I like those two ladies so much that I might apply for Chinese citizenship.

Ok, I should try to redeem my reputation and say that I don't always root on the basis of how sexy the lady competitor is. It's just that when they dress these ladies in beach volleyball in skimpy bikinis it is permission for me to be sexist when picking my team. On the other hand,  I think if they dressed the women's weightlifting team in bikinis I would be too sickened to even watch. Thank God I don't have to pick the sexy ones in that event.  When we men are obliged to pick  female athlete to root for we face many dilemmas. In gymnastics, those ladies are really little girls. They look cute in their leotards but it isn't healthy to lust over a 14 year old female gymnast. I hate gymnastics so much I never watch it, so I am not sure I know which lady I would root for, given the look of the teen gymnast is not a factor for me. But I probably would root for all of them to fall because their sport is such a cherade.

In the swimming races I like to cheer for the ladies who don't look like men. The performance enhanced buff woman is the villain for me. I cheer for the skinny girls who look like they race fast because they train , not because they use drugs. The same thing is the rule for me with track and field events. In the women's 100 meter dash this year a woman from Jamaica won the gold medal and an American lady finished second. They both were the only two competitors in that finals race who looked like Arnold Schwarzeneger in his prime. I don't need to test their hormones to know they are not all female.  If they get caught for being cheaters I will be happy.

I have a policy to also root against any female athlete who has a sections of fans who wave her nation's flag. Nationalism in the Olympics is shameless. In one track event the other day the lady who won the race added to the idiotic flag waving, cheering crowd from her nation's frenzy by herself removing a small flag from her bra and waving that.  I thought the Olympic mantra was "one nation". Yet, when watching the winners celebrate with their national flags it seems otherwise.  Well, at least most of the women competitors don't trash talk . In the male events that is almost the norm. I root against any athlete who thinks too much of him or herself.

Another female athlete I cheer for is the lady who is the biggest underdog in the competition.  One of those I cheered for is that Saudi woman (the first allowed by the males that run the Islamic Saudi government and treat their women like cattle) in the judo competition, head scarf and all, looked shell shocked and lost in 80 seconds. She was, uh, reluctant, knowing that her skill level was far lower than the opponent and she was going to be crushed. But what courage it took for her to break new ground for the women of Saudi Arabia by competing.  (I wonder if she would have even made it to the event if she didn't have a male to drive her)

This concept of picking a lady to support on the Olympic fields is stressful.  Sigh...Maybe I should just do what we males often do at crunch time and cheer for the lady with the biggest T and A......

No comments:

Post a Comment