Sunday, February 13, 2011

Most Desirable List

I's time to unveil AskMen's 10th Annual 'Most Desirable List". And the winner is....Blake Lively. Who? Ahhhhh I never heard of the woman, and I am not going to waste a google on her.Here's the rest of the Top 10:

2. Mila Kunis
3. Sofia Vergara
4. Selita Ebanks
5. Miranda Kerr
6. Cheryl Cole
7. Scarlett Johansson
8. Katy Perry
9. Anne Hathaway
10. Jessica Pare
Ok, how many of those women have you heard of? Ever seen? I can answer only Scarlett Johansson, Katy Perry and Anne Hathaway and that's because they are overexposed actresses. I have never actually seen a movie with either. What does the lack of recognition by me say about my "cultural literacy"? Well, I am virtually illiterate when trendy, celebes are concerned.

It's the same thing with current music, art and literature. I don't know what's going on with it all.
But Alas! I don't want to know about them. When I glance what comes out of those areas makes me think it is a not much worth getting excited about. But then, as we age we tend to remain stuck in our own youth culture, leaving only grudgingly. Though I know nothing about 8 of the 10 on the list, I would guess that talent isn't what got some or them on the list. Today, celebrity is all more style and less about substance. If you doubt me, listen to some of the culture's most played and most purchased songs. I think you will be under whelmed.

My theory about the change in the kind of celebrity today is that communication makes instant celebrities of people for both good and bad reasons, most often though talent or merit is a minor factor in the equation. The five minutes of fame Andy Wharhol mentioned in the 60's is now down to about 30 seconds. Celebrities like those on the AskMen's list come and go so fast that only the core of the culture (mostly the youngest members who seem to set cultural norms now) can keep track of who the icons are.

Well, one good thing about the list. I don't see Lady Gaga on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment