Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Guess Who's Coloring

Have you finished your coloring book yet?  Hey! I am not crazy for asking, because in this crazy world adults are coloring books more and more than one would believe possible.  The adult coloring book is similar as the ones we used to color as kids but have more complex designs, have become all the rage lately. The intricate "Secret Garden," by Johanna Basford, is the most in-demand, and had sold more than 1.4 million copies by the first three months of 2015,...and to the moms and dads, not the toodlers.

With as little artistic ability as I possess this could be my chance to become the next Van Gogh. Well, probably not. I can't even draw a stick man. I assume grown ups coloring between the lines on coloring books are doing it out of a feeling of nostalgia.  Some say it helps them with their stress, insomnia and improves their work performance. Gosh! I sure hope the surgeon who operates on me isn't coloring books in his or her free time.

We all can remember some fond childhood days. I doubt anyone associates an unhappy childhood with coloring books. And if you go to Barnes & Noble these days, you see a whole section now, not just in the kid's room, called the adult art section. Quite a bit of it has a selection of coloring books and materials for we older kids of the world. Weird, I think. What's next, hop scotch lessons for over 40's?

Ugh! Three of the top ten best selling books on Amazon today are coloring books. No wonder Barrack Obama got elected as president here twice. Those adults must be the ones who voted for him. Weren't we told as children when the time came for the teacher to take away the coloring books that we needed to move on because they don't teach us the hands-on creative process. I remember pediatricians saying that beyond a very young age coloring books and coloring books can do “more harm than good.”

So I am confused abut the value rio non value of adults coloring books. Hmmmm I think I'll pass on coloring books. It might take up too much of the time I use for playing tiddlywinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment