Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Groundhog Day

Did you miss Groundhog Day?  Probably so, since even by American standards it's not a serious holiday.  The relatives don't get to come over and eat all the food in the house while guzzling every alcoholic drink available as well. I give thanks for that.  Groundhog Day is always on February 2nd., a day in which Americans observe groundhogs emerging from winter burrows to predict the remaining time of the winter season. If the groundhog returns to its burrow, folklore states that winter will last six more weeks. If the groundhog stays in side (maybe watching another reality TV show?), it is believed that spring will come early. Many towns in the mid west part of the U.S. commemorate that holiday with festivals and gatherings to watch the groundhog. It shows that there isn't much to do in that part of the country.

In ancient times, Germanic people believed that badgers had the ability to predict the weather, and they used that knowledge to plant their crops. Even after those crazy German communities stopped believing in the badger's power to predict, the tradition of it kept the practice alive.  Now we Americans are stuck with it. If I see another newscaster playfully report on Punxsutawney Phil, the official groundhog of the holiday, predicting if the U.S. will have 6 more weeks of winter, I will stop rating Phil ahead of Global Warming  fanatics as a reliable source of climate news. I wish someone would kidnap that groundhog and drop it in an ISIS Muslim terrorist camp.  They might execute the groundhog for being an infidel and actually do good for civilization.

But wait! Maybe it's not such a bad idea to have a holiday named after a rodent who predicts the weather. It makes more sense that the Chinese custom of their zodiac naming one entire year after a rat (The Year of the Rat), or the Japanese celebration 'Naked Festival' in which men dress in loincloths and run around in public for a full day.

Ireland's oldest fair is called 'Puck Fair', held every year in Kilorgin. Supposedly long ago, as raiders were approaching to invade the village, a goat broke away from a herd and headed into the village, which alerted the villagers of incoming danger. So the goat saved the village and now has a day named for him. I don't have one named for me....maybe because most people think that I am more of a jackass than a goat.

I thought the origin of the holiday was as a holy day. But there seems little that is holy about any of the holidays I have mentioned or most of the others that are listed on a calendar. I think I should just forget Groundhog Day and instead wait for my favorite holiday. It's later this month and is called 'Do A Grouch A Favor Day'.  I have many requests for this year's favor and await your gifts. If you fail to give me one I will be an even bigger grouch this year. Thanking you in advance.............

No comments:

Post a Comment