Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Opera

Jane's grandmother took Jane to the opera last night. It's the first time Jane has ever been tortured....err..taken to see opera. It was Richard Wagner's 'The Flying Dutchman'. That one is sung in German, fitting that the world's biggest sadists (Those Germans) would torture humans in an opera theater. I suppose you have figured out now that I don't want to see opera of any sort. My parents were merciful and never dragged me to the opera, so other than seeing film clips of those fat men and women screaming in Latin and other unknown languages I know little about opera. What I have seen and heard on those clips kills any desire to see more.

Opera is the art of the well educated and wealthy class. I think they like being separated from riff-raff like me, and opera does that since it is an esoteric niche art. Not many people want to hear fat people singing very loudly in dead languages, dressed in antediluvian costumes. I think opera is like rap music, the modern opera. Haha It may be a stretch to call rap music the new opera but I think rap is as equally unintelligible as is opera. In opera they scream their songs. In rap the talk them loudly. Opera is often violent. So many characters in an opera are killed. Rap music tells the listener to kill people, particularly the police and women. Both rap music and opera have appeal to a single market segment.

I might like to see, as a novelty act one time, a rapper doing his song in operatic form and an opera singer rapping. Maybe Lady Gaga could make a guest appearance in both of those performances. I thought it was hysterical when Pavaratti and Domingo sang pop songs a few times on TV specials. Watching an opera singer try to sing the Village people's classic YMCA is like asking your plumber to do heart surgery. And one time I also saw pop singer Michael Bolton, he of the horrible screeching voice, sing a opera score to prove "I really can sing". He not only can't sing pop songs. He is even worse singing the operatic form.

Maybe someone who knows the low taste of the audiences watching TV will have an American Idol Opera/Rap contest. But I am not sure if it would be billed as a music contest or a comedy. Sigh....I just hope Jane wasn't traumatized by that German language opera last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment